Industrial Deals Beauty Prime Book Box Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New Moto G6 64 GB | $299.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 11, 2013
I could not put this book down. I quoted passages to my wife and found my voice quivering. A friend who experienced reeducation by the communists in Vietnam loaned the book to me. I would have gladly paid for it. At first I thought the author was fabricating, but I spent eight and one half years in south East Asia. Three and one half years in Vietnam and five years in Laos, first with the Marines and then with Air America. I did five years of research for my book Honor Denied. I can't verify every single fact, but I believe the author is authentic and credible.
I've read countess historical books on Vietnam, including the books the author mentions by Bernard Fall. This may be one of the best, and I believe Bernard Fall would have endorsed it without hesitation had he not been killed near Hue in the very place the author describes.
This is one of the few books on Vietnam that criticizes the apologists with eye witness accounts that cut to the soul and leave no doubt about authenticity. The atrocities that occurred in Hue in 1968 were described in a manner that made one shudder. I had to lay the book down a couple of times, but the detail was so explicit I was forced to pick it up again almost immediately.
The description of the women in Vietnam, their strength and vitality, and specifically the Vietnamese Ao Dai, the typical dress for women, with its combination of elegance, grace and sensuality is so real I could see it with my eyes closed. The truth about the fighting ability of the Vietnamese Marines during the Easter offensive in 1972 is also exposed. This is not the first book to do so, but it reinforces the opinion certain elite military units in South Vietnam deserve high praise for their gallantry and bravery in battle.
I want to correct one statement. The CIA did not own Air America. The US government owned the company and provided transportation needs to several government agencies including USAID, CORDS and the US Air Force for search and rescue work in Laos. Most employees were military veterans who served in Vietnam previously.
This book is a must read for anyone who wants to know the truth about the war in Vietnam. Une is a master storyteller and you won't be able to stop reading it.
21 people found this helpful