Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Should Need in a Photo Frame, and Then Some, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Sony DPF-D810 8-Inch SVGA LCD (4:3) Digital Photo Frame -Black (Electronics)
The main reason I decided to buy a digital photo frame is because printing out photos from my Sony DSC-H5 on an Epson PictureMate to share with the family got pretty tiresome. Sure, the prints looked good, but printing them took a long time, they cost about 35 cents apiece and some of the older relatives couldn't see them very well. I figured a digital photo frame would improve the whole process. My requirements were simple: the frame must have very high resolution, be small and lightweight (for packing in a carry-on suitcase), and accept images via a Memory Stick and also via a standard USB interface (which many, I found, do not).

The Sony DPF-D810 meets all of my requirements with flying colors. The 800-by-600-pixel 8-inch-diagonal display is clear, crisp, bright and saturated. Photos display instantly, either singly, until you manually advance them, or in a slideshow with your choice of 10 time intervals from three seconds to 24 hours and with your choice of six transition effects. You can show the full image or crop it to fit the screen. If the aspect ratio of the picture is wider than 4:3, thin black bars appear at the top and bottom of the screen--the image itself is undistorted. You can display image information such as the time and date taken, camera type, shutter speed and aperture, EV compensation and more. The unit will show photos directly from an SD memory card, Memory Stick Duo or USB flash drive, or you can copy them to the internal memory, which holds about 150 high-resolution images. A mini-USB connector lets you transfer photos directly from your computer. You can choose from 14 different full-screen clock and calendar displays, or integrate a clock and/or calendar with six of the 10 different slideshow display options. Thus you can place this frame on a desk or mantel and run it all the time as a useful item of room decor. You can even choose whether or not to display the bright "Sony" logo on the lower part of the frame. All in all, this is a very impressive device that should satisfy the most demanding user. Plus, it is small (roughly 9 inches by 7 inches by 1 inch) and lightweight (less than 1-1/2 pounds, including the AC transformer and the remote control).

Speaking of which, the remote control is a great bonus. When I first set up the DPF-D810, I found it difficult to see the on-screen menus while manipulating tiny buttons with minuscule labels on the back of the unit. Then I used the remote. What a difference! You can access all of the frame's well-designed and logically arranged setup and functional menus with ease. Not all frames in this price category offer remotes. I didn't care about it when I selected this frame, but now I wouldn't be without it.

Even though I wanted a digital photo frame for just one simple purpose, I was pleased to find that this one far exceeded my expectations and offered much more than I needed for a reasonable price. If you're considering taking the next logical evolutionary step in digital photography by displaying your pictures on a photo frame rather than printing them, I highly recommend you consider the Sony DPF-D810.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2010 9:06:09 AM PST
Shantel Ruiz says:
Thanks for the review! I'm interested in getting my mom and dad each one of these and they aren't that "technically" savvy. Do you think this frame would be ok for them? My plan is to buy it and load it up with pictures and then send it off. I'm hoping they can just plug it in and let it go. If I set everything up ahead of time would that be feasible with this product??
Thanks so much!

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 9:06:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 9, 2010 12:07:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 9:52:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2010 9:53:41 AM PST
Shantel,

Absolutely, it should be great to use as you intend. I don't have mine in front of me right now, but I know you can set it up to cycle through all the pictures in its memory or on a memory card, with about 10 display times selectable from three seconds to one day, as I recall. In fact, I think the main purpose of a digital photo frame is to be set up on a mantelpiece or coffee table or somewhere, turned on all the time (hence the time/date display options, which you have to reset if you turn it off) and just let it rip through the pictures. Just remember that the maximum number of high-res pictures the internal memory can hold is about 150 or so.

Hope this helps. It really is a nice frame. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 11:40:25 AM PST
R. says:
how much MB or GB is memory?
thanks for the review

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 11:58:27 AM PST
Terry Sunday says:
Here's what the Sony website says:

"User Memory Capacity (Approx.):
Internal Memory capacity: 128MB;
Capacity for photo image area: 60MB;
Maximum number of photos that can be stored in internal memory: 150;
and copies from memory card to internal memory and internal memory to memory card"

Note that you can also play photos directly from your memory card without uploading them to the frame's internal memory.

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 9:34:45 PM PST
Eva Grace says:
Terry, Thanks for your review. You answered questions that the product detail did not. I'm buying this for my husband for Christmas and I am not technically savvy at all ( USB, memory stick???) My husband is usually the one that makes these type of purchases, but since it is a gift for him your review really helped me make the decision. I think he'll be happy (and impressed) with this frame. Thanks!!

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 4:54:15 AM PDT
one of the most informative reviews I've read

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 6:21:42 AM PDT
Terry Sunday says:
Thank you. I'm glad you found it useful.

Terry

Posted on Jun 28, 2011 11:23:49 AM PDT
K. Grainger says:
Thanks for a really excellent review. I am purchasing this rather than a cheaper frame for my husband's office because of your indepth description of the product-- I actually understand what features I'm paying extra for, and they definitely sound worth the extra cost. Sony should be paying you commision! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 9:45:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2011 4:16:06 PM PDT
Terry Sunday says:
Thanks for the comment. Regarding "Sony should be paying you commission"--One of the down sides to writing positive Amazon reviews is the accusations they generate that the reviewer is somehow a shill for the company that makes the product (by the way, I'm NOT saying that about your comment, which I realize is made in jest!). But I've been seriously accused of working for a media company because I gave a DVD set a good review, and I've been accused of being the alter-ego of another reviewer because I commented positively on his review. Truth is--I'm retired, have no corporate or personal loyalties to the makers or authors of anything that I've reviewed, and always try to be as objective as possible. It's a shame that some people can't accept things as they are without generating wacko conspiracy theories. But anyway, enough from the soapbox--thanks again, and I hope you enjoy the frame.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›