Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on June 10, 2011
I purchased this device for my mother as a birthday present because it seemed to be easy to use and easy to update you plug it in and it updates. Well the problems started right out of the box. They have started using a new software a few months ago and well it doesn't work. I first went to register and update the TOMTOM at their site. Well it registered but would not update and then the lifetime maps would not apply. So for THREE days I had to deal with tech support where they finally applied the lifetime maps to my account for this device. The code and the registration page never would work. Then things got even worse a new map update popped up. It takes two to three hours just to download on a fast connection then it would not load. Tech support suggested reboots of both computer and device and then they added in factory resets and nothing worked the updates would not load. Also with each reboot I would clear the cache so the update had to re-download and the device had to stay on but it has an auto off feature so I had to sit there tapping the screen every five minutes to keep it active and no there is no way to turn off the auto shutdown. So after a day and night of tries I called tech support again and asked what I should do next? I should mention that the hold time for all my calls was around two hours each call and I have had to make several calls to them but anyway. The tech replied that they had no fix, that the new software is buggy and doesn't work properly. I asked what does that mean for me? To which the tech replied they should have it working as intended in three to six months or possibly longer! I said that seems unacceptable I explained why I bought it and his reply was perhaps I should return it and choose another product. He did not seem to be saying I should choose another TOMTOM product.

I have to say when even your tech support says the product doesn't work as intended then perhaps its time for a recall or at least a rollback on the malfunctioning software. I have never called any tech support for any electronic device ever and been told, after a two hour wait on hold, by tech support "Our product sucks you would do better with a product from someone else." I will never suggest a TOMTOM product to anyone nor will I ever buy one again.

Greg M
22 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.