Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

I wasn't sure if I should give this movie one star or five... I settled on four. .......(shaking head) I've never read the book so all I knew about the movie was a guy and his kid survive the end of the world and that was about it. They never say what it was that ended the planet. I'm guessing it was some kind of bomb but all that's left is man. No animals. No crops. No trees. Nothing.

Within the first ten minutes of the movie I was in tears and I knew I'd be in for a rocky ride. I WAS NOT prepared for what this movie threw at me.

Ok, the good. Why would I give the movie five stars? Excellent acting, incredible score. The movie sucks you right in and doesn't let go.
The direction is brilliant. The pacing is slow but deliberate and very effective. The movie is a masterpiece except for....

The bad? Why would I give one star? Umm....I don't know how many of you have played the Resident Evil video games but when you stumble upon a big scary mansion looming in the mist, RUN THE OTHER WAY. Chances are said mansion will have scary, icky things in it.
And the mansion part of this movie will haunt me for years to come. YUCK! Not that this part of the movie is gory, it kind of is. It's the mental impact of what is happening in the mansion and really all over the Earth. This movie is the darkest, most depressing, desolate thing I have ever seen and I never want to see this movie again.

I settled on four stars. The movie is a masterpiece and one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It's not even technically a horror movie but that's what kind of impact it had on me. I guess what really scares me the most is the fact that this entire scenario is possible. Funny....that great thing we call the mind of man is what has elevated us from the club wielding/rock throwing days to where we are now as a species. It will be the same mind of man that reduces us right back to where we originated, maybe even worse if this movie is any indication.

I pray the bombs never fly during my lifetime but if they do. I know where fallout shelters are... I won't be going. I'll go right outside and welcome the end with outstretched arms. Even if you did survive, what kind of life would be left for you or your loved ones? Is that really something you'd wish on them or yourself?

If the end really was as bad as this... My prayers for the survivors. Imagine a planet filled with Ted Bundy's and Jeffrey Dahmers running around in gangs. For those who say "This could never happen". It already has. Go read about Holodomor in Ukraine. People can and will revert back to their most absolute brutish ways in very little time under the worst circumstances. ...Maybe this wasn't the best movie for me to watch. I cry during car commercials if the music is sappy enough. This movie will stay with me for years to come. Excellent job by Mortensen, Theron and the boy.

Do I recommend this movie? If and that's a HUGE IF you can stomach the subject matter of a post apocolyptic world filled with murdering cannibals, then yes. Otherwise I'd say for sensitive viewers, don't watch it. It's a masterpiece of utter brutality, desperation and hopelessness.
There is no happy ending here.
1717 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?