Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 14, 2010
I bought this quite recently, although not from Amazon, and have since gone through all of the DVDs. I like to watch DVDs on my computer, and I came across a problem with one in season 5. My computer tells me "This disc is not formatted to play in this region." Now, I understand WMP has some problems with errors popping up about the region of the DVD, but I have selected it to play DVDs from Region 1, as it should be, and it just does not work. So what's up with that? I took a good look at my DVDs. I noticed, within season 5 at least, half of the discs are copyrighted 2004, and half of them are copyrighted 2008. It looks to me like they have mixed new DVDs with old ones. As a result, it also appears as though they may have mixed up the regions, considering one of them won't even work. Another issue I have: quite a few of my discs have minor scratches on them. Not too much to worry about since it appears as though all the other discs work fine, but I do not expect any scratches at all on a set of never-opened DVDs.
It is hard for me to give a low rating on this set, because the content itself is amazing. Angel was a great show, and it is one that I have watched over and over again dozens of times and I am still not sick of it. However, it bothers me that the Series has been re-released as brand new in 2010, and I have 6-year-old DVDs in my set, including one DVD that won't even play at all.

Let me restate: this review is not specifically about the show. This is my second-favorite show of all time next to Buffy, and I would give the series 5/5 stars. The characters are great, the plots are great, the dialogue is great. My rating of 3 stars is for the poor repackaging of the box set. I have since taken the set back to get a replacement. All the disks work in my new set, but they still appear to be a compilation of different years and there are still minor scratches on a few of the disks. Luckily, the scratches in this box have not caused playback issues, but it is still frustrating to see when someone thinks they are buying something new.
33 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)