Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 30, 2008
I'm sort of new to anime, only caught a few over the last two years. But I've been ill, so I've been using my ROKU while wheezing on the couch, and I've been enjoying some anime from the last few years that I didn't see the first time round, such as Saiyuki and some of the early episodes of Bleach.

I added this one to my line-up, and yesterday, I caught a little over half of the episodes in one sitting. Yep, that's like 5 hours of this in one go. I wouldn't have done that had I not been drawn in to the story of the black-clad, black-hatted, mecha-controlling loner on a revenge quest to get the Clawed Man who killed his bride. Not the most original plot, but it's definitely fitting for the west-meets-east-meets-a-little-steampunk sort of tale. It's got humor, action, family issues, and adventure. I like it.

Yes, it is a going from town to town chasing Claw-Man thing, helping people (no matter how initially reluctantly) along the way. Van may try to be aloof, but he ends up picking up sidekicks and aiding the oppresssed, all the same. And he has another "armored" fella out to kill the Claw competing with him. So, the race is on.

As I said, I'm over halfway done, and I found the 14 episodes engaging and the action fun and the humor not irritating (like some anime humor can get with the over-the-top cutesiness or dopeyness).

Obviously, other reviewers have a more broad anime perspective with which to judge/compare/find faults. As a newbie anime-watcher, I think this is a fun series and I want to see what happens to the characters. I even like the weird intro music that starts with taiko drumming and segues into a sort of Western-retro-theme updated for anime.

Mileages vary, right?