Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't kid yourself: still pretty terrible, November 19, 2005
This review is from: Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, Book 11) (Hardcover)
Ok, so maybe Knife of Dreams isn't the crapfest that Book 10 was. And yes, the pace does move along a little quicker. But come on now people: the plot could be at a complete stop and still be moving along more rapidly than in book 10. Jordan continues his flair for writing a whole lot of nothing. On a pain scale of 1-10, with 1 being a poke in the cheek and 10 as slamming your fingers in a car door, I'd say reading this book registered at about a 6.5, right between dropping a cinderblock on your foot and smashing yourself in the face with a wok. So here's the quick rundown of the particularly annoying points.

- very little Rand: our main "hero" doesn't show up much in this book, but really at this point I don't even care anymore. Someone tell me why I keep buying these?

- Faile lives: man I hate her. Can anyone honestly say they enjoy Faile's character? Because I would like to meet that person. And then run him over in my car. Twice.

- lots of pointless plotlines with very minor characters that really should just be omitted so that we can get on with the actual story.

- no completely debilitating injuries for Egwene, Nynaeve, or Elayne: sorry to ruin many of your fantasies, but there is no triple threat cage match between these three ridiculously annoying women that would result in several broken backs, numerous cracked ribs, and a variety of sprain, bruises, contusions, and shattered kneecaps. Sorry guys.

- As several reviewers have noted, Jordan has really focused on this concept of spanking grown men and women as a punishment. What is going on here? RJ is turning into one really weird and creepy dude.

- Know what makes really interesting reading? Descriptions of people traveling, and lots of it. I'm not talking about dangerous journeys into enemy territory or magical realms, but rather just people going from here to there on dusty roads with no significant action happening. Man I just can't get enough of it! And Jordan certainly satisfies my appetite in this book. Plus he does a great job of describing really intriguing and relevant things like wagon wheels, ditches on the side of the road, and clothes of every single character mentioned. Sweet!

- women: Does anyone else wonder if Jordan has actually met a live woman? I mean seriously, they're all exactly the same character, with the dress smoothing, lip pursing, eyebrow arching, braid-tugging activities that can supposedly send grown men scurrying down the street with a glance. The only difference between his female characters is their level of annoyance, ranging from Min (only bang-your-head-against-the-back-of-your-chair annoying) to Elayne (run-face-first-into-a-wall annoying).

- characters coming back to life: Stop it. Just stop. I'm so tired of Forsaken coming back in different bodies. Yes yes, I know the whole theme of the series involves cyclical movement, but seriously, give us some indication that progress in the plot is being made. Aaargggh!

- RJ's lies: I refuse to believe he's going to finish this series up in another book or two. Just not possible, considering very little is accomplished here. Simply a ploy to keep us buying these disasters.

So there you have it. Why the two star rating? Two reasons:

1. KOD is slightly better than book 10. But keep in mind that's not really saying much.

2. I'm trying to make myself feel better for buying yet another stupid WOT book.

So read if you must. But I think Jordan got us again. I hate him.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2009, 10:07:31 AM PDT
E. Smiley says:
"women: Does anyone else wonder if Jordan has actually met a live woman? I mean seriously, they're all exactly the same character"

I'm pretty sure Jordan has actually met a woman. One. And all 500 women in the series are modeled after her. All I can say is thank God I never had to meet her.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010, 7:56:05 AM PDT
alishape says:
Yes, we got robbed again. Then too, if book ten couldn't stop me, I'll probably get the next one. The thing that irritated me the most about this book was the women. They were all petulant, b*tchy, and one dimensional. Well, I'm only about sixty percent of the way through, but so far it sucks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›