Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on January 21, 2012
I liked this book so much I read it twice so that I'd get the maximum benefit from its recommendations. The authors clearly have strong real world experience so their recommendations seem highly relevant. I also like the way the book is organized into 50 rules that you can absorb in small chunks. I was also impressed with the quality of the writing - clear, grammatically correct, and very meaty without a lot of fluff or overly technical jargon.

With regard to the specific recommendations in the book, I was very pleased to see "Don't Overengineer the Solution" as Rule 1. In my experience, this is by far the biggest problem in software today and is the biggest cause of not only scalability problems, but performance, maintainability, and extensibility problems as well.

My only small quibble with the book is the lack of a discussion of object relational mapping technologies. As the authors note several times, the database is usually the most difficult component to scale. I think that is absolutely true. Given that fact, I think the database needs to be fully tuned and optimized and this includes the data access code. As other authors have noted (and my own experience confirms), ORM generally performs and scales very poorly. Not to mention it often represents "overengineering". Therefore, I expected at least some discussion of that issue.

With that small criticism aside, I highly recommend this book.
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.