Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on August 5, 2005
In the interest of full disclosure, let me say up front -- I am a Philistine. I struggle with poetry (or mostly avoid it); tend to fall asleep mid-sentence when reading overly-literary books; and often, when I finish a short story, I scratch my head and say "huh?"

But, I have read a couple of Jay Neugeboren's novels and so I thought I'd give this collection a scan one evening while propped up on pillows waiting for Jon Stewart to come on. I missed Jon Stewart that night, so rivited was I to these stories.

I'm not going to go into each tale or even say which were my favoirtes. Some are touching, some are humorous, and some are depressing, but all are arresting, surprising and thought provoking. Even the dedication is a story -- one that brought me to tears.

Knowing that it might threaten my status as a Philistine, I nonetheless would like to mention that it is a joy to read Neugeboren's writing -- to study his sentence structure, word choices, and timing. He is a literary writer who is at once complex and accessible.

Rita Bleiman

2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.

Product Details