Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

on December 13, 2012
I'll keep this short and sweet.

These were great boots, for just over a month. With normal, occasional wear, the Vibram sole split at the toe and began pulling free of the welt. These boots were worn under normal, casual conditions. The same conditions under which pairs of dress shoes have survived for well over two years. They're not exactly what I would classify as "rugged", as the description claims.

I contacted Chippewa when I noticed the issue with the sole. They replied with the boilerplate response, "While we stand proudly behind our products we are not responsible for damages due to customer abuse or neglect and cannot guarantee any boot that has been repaired or altered. We do not warrant soles against wear."

That's great, and totally understandable. But if they would have accepted the boots back for inspection, or at least asked for a picture of the issue, they would have clearly seen that this was a defect in the manufacturing process (probably not enough glue), and not a result of wear, abuse, alteration or neglect.

I contacted Amazon, as per Chippewa's instructions, and they offered me a partial refund of the purchase price to keep them, or a prorated amount if I sent them back. But not a full refund since it fell outside of the return period. I took them up on their offer to keep them and decided to have them resoled with leather soles at a local cobbler.

The upper of the boot is great quality. They will undoubtedly last for a long time if well taken care of. Other reviews lead me to believe that Chippewa makes a great product. So I apparently got a rare defective pair of boots. Something that would have been understood and completely forgiven if Chippewa had actually stood behind their product.

I bought American made because I expected quality. And I had hoped an American company would stand behind their product. They did not. I guess you get what you pay for. Thankfully Amazon partially stood behind the product they sold so the net loss wasn't too significant.
review image
1111 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.