Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars SLAM DUNK!!! This is THE Laptop for gamers and Graphic Designers..., February 28, 2011
This review is from: Sony VAIO VPC-F13YFX/B 16.4-Inch Widescreen Entertainment Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Read the product description very carefully, and if it seems to have what you think you are looking for in graphic card, memory, WS/HD display, hard drive, lightning fast I7-740QM processor and all the other bells and whistles, then this is what you are looking for! We have had this only about 6 days now and have loaded it with designing software, CS5, Norton, almost 10k photos and family videos, and it is kicking at Secretariat speed. My wife wanted a new laptop for graphic desigining, and I did comprehensive research for almost a week before deciding that the Sony VAIO VPC-F13YFX/B was the way to go. This decision was somewhat jumping into new territory a bit because there were literally no customer reviews available on the internet being this is a new Sony model. By comparing older models, and the upgraded equipment in this one, I felt we couldn't go wrong. So far, I am happy with that decision!

This laptop plays movies as well as any HD TV, and with the HDMI out port, you can hook it up to your LED TV for high quality HDTV for the gameroom. (The blu-ray player is an upgrade option if you desire). The sound coming from the speakers is impressive, and playing music through them is pleasant listening to. The 3.0 ports, bluetooth, webcam, WIFI ready and the awesome graphic card means nothing is left out. Now if I can only convince her to get one for myself!!!

With the 1 year warranty and 1 year in home service, Sony is standing by it's product and that comforts me a little when paying this much for an unreviewed product.

One month update- This laptop is extremely efficient, and as I said before, FAST! We have upgraded to a new "N" router and utilizing a cable modem, it connects up to 300 MBPS! Working on her Masters, my wife uses this for school every day with a live camera system for credibility. We have experienced zero drop offs from the web, and are very pleased with this products overall "Live" internet performance. LOVE the big 16.4" HD/WS Display! The keyboard is solid and VERY well built, unlike most laptop keyboards which are plastic keys and click when you type.

The only glitch we have come across is that there is "Google Chrome" Web Browser software pre-installed on the computer, which we are unfamiliar with (We use I.E.). We decided to delete it, and that was a mistake! It affected multiple programs, so we re-installed it and leave it in hiding. One program that it affects is Microsoft Outlook email (Hyperlinks do not work for some reason, a very well known and discussed problem on the internet) which my wife prefers over Windows Live Mail because it will Sync her phone with her calendar, contacts etc. via Bluetooth. Outlook is an additional program we have added along with the entire Microsoft Office Suite. You can use Windows Live Mail which is pre-installed if you like it better, it just doesn't SYNC with our phones.

Overall, a fantastic purchase and wonderful product! This computer fits the cliche' "Spend a little more and get a little more", only you get a LOT more. This is our first Sony VAIO, and will NOT be our last!!!!

3/13/2012 One Year + Update- Still going strong and works as well as it did when we purchased it a year ago. My wife has clobbered it with photos, movies, and design software, and it is still lightning fast! WIFI is impressive and streaming NETFLIX movies is a blast on the go!!!

11/14/2012 UPDATE: Sadly, we had to replace this unit for my wife this week. Not because it failed, or shorted out, or was dropped. Simply because it is a bit heavy for her to continue to carry to the college campus, and does not fit into her bag she uses for school (no, she doesn't want a new larger bag). It IS heavier than most laptops, mostly because of the large display. SO, we purchased a new Sony VAIO "E" Series with a 14" display, and much lighter unit, and she is estatic! As for me, well, I now have a new Sony VAIO with a 16.4" display to replace my 5 yr old Acer Aspire 5532 that my 10 yr old daughter will now inherit. Win win for everyone!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]