Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon September 24, 2010
While I was not terribly familiar with graphic novels, I loved comic books well into my teens, and looked forward to The Exile. I, for one, am not disappointed. Given the constraints of the format I thought it was enjoyable -- and I loved the way Jamie and Claire were depicted by the artist. Someone wrote that Jamie looked too young and naive, seeming to forget that he was only 22 and still a virgin when he married Claire. I do agree that in some of the panels his looks changed somewhat, but usually due , IMO, to the artist attempting to convey emotion. Real people do not look the same all the time -- sometimes we look great and other times pretty darn unattractive (and I have the pictures to prove it!). The beautiful images of Claire succeeded in wiping away that horrible illustation that appeared on the cover of the first mass market edition to be released in the U.S. back in the early 90s -- the one where Claire looked like a middle aged washerwoman.

Now to the negatives: I agree that the color of Jamie's eyes didn't seem quite right, they looked too dark (Gabaldon wrote that his eyes were dark blue, but in the book they looked almost black); and the story of Kenneth was unnecessary and confusing. One of the problems with a graphic novel is that wonderful pieces of discriptive passages, with which Outlander abounds, are eliminated by the format. But I feel that Hoang Nguyen's beautiful illustrations of Scotland in many ways compensated for the lack of narration. I would like to see more of this format.
55 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?