Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over WG-1 GPS, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Orange Adventure Series 16 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 5 X Optical Zoom and GPS (Electronics)
I own one of the earlier Pentax waterproof cameras (Optio W10) and it still works.

We decided to upgrade to the WG-2 GPS before our trip to Costa Rica. Prior to buying ours, my company purchased two of the WG-1 GPS cameras and I was able to use them a couple times in the field. I found that it took a really long time for the GPS to locate and was a little disappointed. Once we got the WG-2 GPS I was kind of shocked to see how fast the GPS would locate both in the US and in Costa Rica vs. my experience with the WG-1 GPS. I did not have a stop watch out but I can't remember waiting more than 15 seconds for the GPS to acquire.

We purchased the car charger that came with two extra batteries for around $20. One day we heavily used the Camera and took six 2 minute long videos and ended up going through two batteries. We took probably 20 pictures before our trip, over 1200 on our trip, and about 10 short videos. On our trip we used it snorkeling, ocean fishing, hiking, in the resort pools, zip lines, and whitewater rafting. Having the GPS for the whitewater rafting was pretty cool, using Picasa it placed all our photos on a Google map with little red location pins.

The underwater photos seems significantly better than any we shot with the old W10 but it might have just been clearer water or having more megapixels in this one vs. the 6 mp in the W10. The WG-2 also has the anti shake so that might have been why the pictures are better as well.

We found that the strap for the carabineer liked to slowly loosen I would recommend taking something like a small safety pin and pinning the excess strap to the main strap so it won't slide out. Ours never slid out but I had to shorten it multiple times on our vacation.

One thing I wish they would have designed differently is the metal loop that the camera strap attaches too; it is only wide enough for the strap. On the W10 I would use one of those yellow boat key floatation devices to keep it from sinking to the bottom. Those yellow floaties come on a little metal chain, the ones with the balls/links that snap together. Unfortunately the space for the camera strap is just a little too small for the balls to fit though. I had to strap it though the carabineer strap and if that would slide out while wet then my camera would be at the bottom and the floatie would have only saved the carabineer strap. I ended up using a key chain loop to temporarily attach it as a back up when we went whitewater rafting, the rest of the time it was just hooked through the carabineer loop. I know they make a floatation device for it as part of those bundle kits, out company purchased that and I think the floatation device is too large and cumbersome. One little yellow boat key floatie keep this camera floating in both fresh and salt water.

I found the carabineer very useful on the zip lines and whitewater rafting. Other people had waterproof camera but had them stored away, they were only able to take them out when there were breaks. On the zip line I attached it to the harness loops and during the whitewater rafting I hooked it to the life jacket. I easily took twice as many photos and wasn't holding anyone up waiting for me to put it away.

We used our Joby tripod and set up the camera to take a photo every 5 minutes while we were near the beach. We were there long enough to see high tide and low tide. When it is in this mode the camera appears to be off and then you will see a quick image for a couple seconds just after it took another photo. I was cool to see how much the tide changed especially since large rocks appeared at low tide.

The Macro mode was cool for taking really close shots of flowers and bugs.

Another feature that was new to me from the original W10 camera was they added a nighttime mode that can be used while holding the camera. The old camera only had night time and the shutter was open for so long that any movement caused really blurry pictures. It still has this mode but they added one that allows you to hold the camera and still take great images in the evening.

I am not sure how helpful this rambling review is, but if you are deciding between the WG-1 GPS and WG-2 GPS I would suggest paying extra for the WG-2 if you want GPS. If you don't want GPS then save your money and get the WG-1 without GPS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2013 6:20:50 AM PST
I appreciate the detail. so yours was waterproof for snorkeling? did you take any dives down to say 10-15ft?
thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 6:27:27 AM PST
It was for snorkeling. I went 10 ft deep a couple times to get a close up shot. Our local snorkel guide took it probably 20 ft deep to take a picture of a lobster looking creature that was hiding in a little cave. We were in the water for probably an hour but most of the time the camera was only 3 ft deep. If I remember correctly I think the camera is rated for 40 ft deep?

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 2:33:25 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
Thank you for your helpful review. I am looking for a Christmas present camera for my 11-year-old son. He has an old point-and-shoot he uses mostly to take photos of Legos for his Instagram account (it's a thing). It's starting to fall apart and I'd like to get him a better camera that can take detailed, in-focus photos of tiny things. I also want him not to break it or drown it or drop it and shatter it. I'm having a hard time finding a camera. I think that I like this camera, but I can't even figure out what the new version of this camera even is. The Ricoh looks like the budget model that doesn't perform as well?

So my question for you, hoping that you will even see this question, is: "Here at the end of 2015, is a used version of this camera worth $200?" Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2015 6:25:31 PM PST
Go with a wg3 or wg4 without the GPS. Each year certain colors have GPS. A non GPS one is probably near $200 new.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›