Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars If Tarantino made a video game..., September 30, 2012
This review is from: Borderlands 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If Quentin Tarantino made a Spaguetti Western, post-apocalyptic-esque video game, this would be it. I can't believe how much fun this game actually is. Even if you're like me and didn't play the first Borderlands, don't pass this one up so quickly. Where do I start?

GAMEPLAY: if you aren't familiar with BL, the best way to explain this is to take the addicting looting system of Diablo and combine it with the basic elements of an FPS, throwing in some RPG via an inventory and skill tree. That's essentially the mechanics of the game, and it all slams together so well here. You have four basic classes to choose to play from, and each class has three paths to focus on in a skill tree -- this means there's plenty of variation to play. In addition to these basic mechanics, the game is open-world, though it may feel semi-linear as you can only explore on an area-by-area basis (think the opposite of an Elder Scrolls game, where you can walk around the entire map without hitting a loading screen until accessing a dungeon). I have to say, with combining so many of our favorite gaming formulas, this game has so many highlights. Sometimes I felt like I was playing something akin to Skyrim. Other times, the ambiance of a specific area or the design of a specific feature reminded me of BioShock. And sometimes certain things brought me back to my Fallout 3 days. However, I never forgot I was playing a completely new adventure that easily whisked me away for hours in the unique and captivating world of Pandora. Lastly, I can't forget the guns. No joke, there are millions of guns you can find. It is so satisfying to find a ridiculous weapon and destroy enemies for the next three hours with it, only to find another weapon that is even better.

SETTING: Speaking of Pandora, it really is a fascinating world. Having a post-apocalyptic feeling yet retaining a notes of being futuristic, there are so many different areas to access. Sometimes you'll be exploring an underground cave full of chemicals. At other times, you'll be questing in a town that feels like it belongs in the Wild West after a nuclear fallout. It's crazy, and I doubt you'll be bored quickly.

STORY: one thing many BL veterans mentioned is the lack of a good narrative beyond funny one-liners in the original game. Like I said I never played Borderlands 1, but I can tell you that in BL 2 the characters are memorable, the writing is well-thought out and downright hilarious, and the story moves at a great pace with scenes of great emotion and other scenes of great sarcasm. This is all coming from a guy who is used to epic stories from Final Fantasy or Mass Effect. Also, be sure to keep your ears peeled while you fight the various enemies. They say and do some hilarious things themselves. But seriously, the writing is just super clever. I mean, what other game has a quest called, "Rocko's Modern Strife"? Classic!

REPLAYABILITY: with the various classes and varying skill trees, there is already plenty of incentive to reboot a new game or two... Or three. However, in addition to these, once you beat the game you open up more challenging modes that guarantee both tougher enemies and significantly better loot. Also, there are a healthy amount of side quests in here to help you clock in the hours that make AAA games a great bang for your buck. If you're a completionist like me, you'll probably spend 50+ hours on your first playthrough. No joke. Or, you can try a different character, pump through the story to get to the better game modes, then spend all your hours doing the side quests and finding the best loot. There are so many possibilities!

One note -- definitely not a game for kids. The gratuitous gore would scar small children, and the extremely crass sense of humor means it's not a good idea to give this to a kid/teen who probably wouldn't understand half the jokes anyway. Just saying, parents, be smart and know what your kids are playing!

In conclusion, this is one heck of a game. I feel that it combines the best of so many game genres into a single FPS while adding in a memorable story that motivates you to find out what happens next. Of course, you'll be laughing your face off the entire way.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 3:51:05 PM PDT
I was hearing this game has only 1 difficulty and that it's hard. Can a novice play through it? It seems like it's an awfully deep and complex game? Does it come with an adequate manual, or would you recommend purchasing a strategy guide?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 5:50:03 PM PDT
B. Cravens says:
You are correct, there is only one difficulty. However, like I said I never played he first BL so I think any novice would be fine. If you've never played an FPS before you might have some trouble, but again this game is nowhere near impossible. I've gone through the campaign by myself while dying nothing outside a normal number of times.

As far as a strategy guide, that is up to you. The way the game is set up it's easy to micromanage quests, and the game helps you see your progression as you go along as you complete things for quests you may not even be directly focused on. And if you have any secret areas you have a hard time finding, there's always GameFAQs for free guides that IMO are better than most official guides. However, if you are big on getting guides you may want to pick it up to complete your collection. ;)

Either way, I think you're going to have a blast with this game. Just don't run into an open area full of enemies expecting nothing to kill you. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:12:47 PM PDT
I was looking at a gameplay video where the gamer was going through inventory screens, skill trees and discussing trading weapons / exchanging them etc. There is also this concept of "badass points" as you build your character. Will the RPG elements of this game overwhelm the traditional FPS gamer?

Have you located a good "GameFAQ" online?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 8:20:45 PM PDT
B. Cravens says:
No, a traditional FPS player won't be overwhelmed by the RPG elements, and I say this as a seasoned Battlefield veteran. The game has a great amount of fluidity to it.

As far as GameFAQs, check this:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 7:56:50 PM PDT
You play Battlefield? I could never get into Battlefield 3. I know critics were praising it's realism, but something about the gameplay wasn't for me at least as a FPS. I guess I found it to be too similar to Call of Duty which for me is mostly "run and gun."

Thank you for the link to the FAQ. I like your comparison of Borderlands 2 to a Quentin Tarantino spaghetti western. From the video footage I've been watching, the analogy seems to be on the mark. I may wait until the price drops before picking it up.

What other games are you playing / have you reviewed?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 5:15:33 AM PDT
B. Cravens says:
Thanks for your kind words, man. I mostly stick to books for my reviews, but other games I've recently reviewed include Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, and Dead Space.

Cheers! If you do pick this up I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 9:05:11 PM PST
E. Nielsen says:
If a modern game needs a manual or a gameguide to get through it , that is a failure of a game. This game will teach you as you go. If you are novice then I encourage you to use the quest menu and do as many as possible.

Posted on Jun 18, 2014 9:27:03 PM PDT
Justin W. says:
This was a well-written, thorough review, I think. Looking forward to playing it soon. I'm STILL playing Borderlands 1, since I started on the second go 'round after finishing the storyline. Endless hours of fun, seriously. Was going to order the GOTY version packed with extra hours of stuff, so probably will never be done, LOL. Also, they came out with the prequel game. I can't keep up!

Thanks again for the review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›