Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

on February 21, 2014
Coming from a 2013 Nexus 7, this this is faster and better at every turn. That can be attributed to the Snapdragon 800 vs the S4 pro. Although the Nexus 7 is no slouch in performance. I really like the 8.4" screen size and it's why I upgraded it in the first place. I found the Nexus 7 to be just a bit too small for web browsing. The extra screen real estate really makes a difference but the tablet itself is still very small and portable. And the screen resolution is absolutely the best I've seen on ANY device, hands down.

It's also extremely thin and light. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in weight vs the Nexus 7. Seems thinner too. I assume since there's more space for the internals. The way it's shaped makes it easier to hold one handed, even though it's larger.

The addition of an SD card slot is also a nice feature, since 16GB will be eaten up very quickly with Samsung's Touchwiz UI (some call it bloat, I actually prefer it) and my apps. I am all set up with a good amount of apps and have 7.8GB left. That's enough for one or so HD movie rental, which is enough for me. I'll use the SD card for spotify if I need it. But I stream everything from a tablet. no need for storage unless I'm on a plane without wifi...and those days are coming to an end as well.

The only thing I don't really like is the magazine launcher. I prefer the Google launcher with Google Now on the left page. There's no way to disable the magazine pages, so I just don't swipe left on my homescreen. You can also install 3rd party launchers (I like Apex) which solves the issue as well.

Price seems fair. Although $350 would have been OK with me. I would have sacrificed the SD card slot for this price. -1 star for that. $400 puts it in iPad mini competition. And I prefer Android so that's an easy decision.

Some people dislike Samsung Touchwiz UI. I actually prefer it and find it useful, aside from the Magazine launcher as noted above.

Battery life seems to be on par with reviews and what my Nexus 7 got with daily use. I've been on it quite a bit. Wifi is always on and the screen is usually set to around 25% brightness (it's a crazy bright screen). 7-8 hours screen on time seems to be average. It's not seeing my charger until bed time, if at all.

It was between this and the LG G Pad 8.3 for me. The LG has a snapdragon 600 (vs this one's 800) and the screen on the LG wasn't good for me at all when I tested it. I had to turn it up to 90-100% to get good brightness and even that seemed dim. The resolution was a lot lower as well. For $250 it seemed like a good value, but this tablet definitely is more premium at every turn, which you obviously pay for.
55 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.