Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on January 3, 2014
Hello everyone, I wanted to make some comments on the advice given by Dr. Smith. Don't just take my word for it, please do your own research. I am not a diet expert like Dr. Smith. I'm just a Marine who decided to get a personal training certification and become a fitness professional. As a result I continue to read books and articles from other experts in the industry. In short, I do my homework.

Let's begin.

1. "Weigh yourself in the morning the day you start the program and make sure you record it."

I personally don't agree with this. I don't even own a scale. I say throw the scale away, and here's why. The scale isn't smart enough to distinguish what's fat, muscle, water, etc. Sure, you might lose a couple of pounds here and there, but some of that might be lean muscle, which you need. I just feel that people should not fixate on some number, true health and fitness should be measured by an individual's actual physical abilities. Then improve on those. As a side effect, you will be healthy.

2. "Do not skip meals. Even if you're not hungry"

I 100% agree with this one. You should NOT be skipping meals, and you should be eating MORE. The reason why this works is because you're going to be loading the body with nutrients that are beneficial in the fat shrinking process. You will be cutting out everything bad. Eat more good, eat less bad. Don't just try to eat less overall. Doesn't matter how little you eat if it's bad for you. It still hurts you, and you deprive the body of much needed nutrients. Especially when you begin exercising. A higher demand on the body deserves better nutrition to help it recover.

3. " All of your shakes and smoothies this week must be 200 calories or less"

Disagree. The calorie was discovered in the 18th century. Kekwick and Pawan proved that no calorie is created equal. They showed what happens when a person consumes 1 type of calorie. I just don't see how incinerating food is equal to the bodies metabolism. I also find it quite confusing when there are so many different definitions for calculating a "calorie." My advice is to forget about calories all together. You should be consuming MORE calories, but nutritional ones. Ones that will help you shrink fat, not gain. Focus more on nutrition labels. The main thing is to avoid sugar like the plague.

4. " Snacks are optional, but highly recommended."

No they are not. If you wish to keep your metabolism running hot all day and working for you then you need to put fire logs in the furnace. You should be consuming healthy snacks such as seeds, nuts, and berries. Please note that Dr. Smith suggests SHRED bars and popcorn as snacks...

5. "Soups are an option, including store- bought soups. But make sure you look at the sodium content: no more than 480 milligrams per serving."

What would happen to me if I did eat more than 480mg of sodium in one sitting? Nothing. I wouldn't gain or lose fat. It's irrelevant.

"In humans, sodium is an essential nutrient that regulates blood volume, blood pressure, osmotic equilibrium and pH; the minimum physiological requirement for sodium is 500 milligrams per day." - wiki

Soups are awesome, make some at home with meats and veggies only. It's the best.

6. " Consume 1 cup of water before every meal."

I agree with this one. I personally go for a gallon of water a day. Highly important to stay hydrated during this entire process. You must be hydrated every single day.

Well it appears that I am low on characters I can post. I won't be able to finish my thoughts on the rest. I hope this sparked some people to dig deeper. I'm just trying to help and save lives. If you like my advice please check out my work at "300 PFT." Thanks!
5150+ comments| 838 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)