Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Amazon's least expensive reader may not have some of the bells and whistles (speakers, touch) you get with the higher end but if what you want is a 'reader', this model is as good as any when it comes to bringing you a clear and sharp display, light weight, easy to carry size, simplicity and, of course low price.

'Price' may be the main reason behind purchasing this model but it shouldn't be the only one. This is not our first 'reader' Kindle, it's the 5th (large family) and I found it to be ideal for a kid, especially now that Amazon supports parental controls so we, the parents, are the ones who decide on what gets purchased.

I like this Kindle because it's small and light. I can't say that I miss the 3G/4G or Whispernet because I never felt that I needed it - we are perfectly capable of planning for a book purchase at least a few hours ahead and I believe almost all our book purchases were made from a computer because a real browser, a keyboard, a hi-res color display and a mouse make it so much easier to search for a title.

I must confess that I expected this Kindle to be more or less the exact model we purchased a year or so ago for another one of our kids but it's not quite. The specs appear to be the same but we placed them next to each other and the text on this new model is clearly sharper and page turns appear to be faster.

Like the model it replaces, this one comes without a charger but this is not a big deal. Unlike the Kindle tablets where a special charger is highly recommended, this one will charge quickly off anything: laptop, PC, phone charger, even a Kindle tablet charger through the supplied USB cable which, by the way, it's a standard cable.

Amazon's rating for 'I love it' is 5 stars and that's what this Kindle gets. More than 2 years ago, when I bought my first Kindle reader I was a little skeptical. I was concerned mainly about Amazon's proprietary format then but now I know that just about any electronic document that's not DRMed can be brought on the Kindle (there are many free format conversion apps) and read on it. I love Kindles because they allow me to carry hundreds of books wherever I go without having to stuff my travel bags. And they allow me to read the books the way books are read, without the eye strain that I get when reading on a laptop or tablet screen.
0Comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.