Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on March 28, 2012
This book and Intro to Algorithms by Corman are perhaps the best 2 books in my hand. All you will ever need to form a firm foundation in algorithms are developed in these 2 books.

I had this book from way back when I was doing by Comp Sci. But recently, I lost this one during a move and had to re-order. So I though I would share my thoughts on it.

This one is much more formal when compared to Corman. However, I find it much easy to follow than Corman's. Also, I find that it becomes even better when you accompany it with some of the implementation books such as Algorithms in C etc.. It would be easier to visualize things when you accompany such a "practical" book along with this one.

TAOCP book could be another one. But I was exposed to these 2 books first before the TAOCP. I find that these 2 books put much heavy emphasize on the algorithms while the TAOCP brings in some of the other programming/dicreet math components that you study anyway in junior classes.

Draw back is that, the material is dated. Obviously, since they were published way back. So some of those optimal algorithms are not so optimal anymore. Both books lacks clear practical approach to some of those very important algorithms used today, especially on processing Graphs, Extendible Hash, Edge Detection, Concurrent Cache Oblivious B Trees etc... Concurrency is a big part of the world today. So I believe, if anyone where to make another books for academic or otherwise on algorithms, these items would be a prerequisite.

For a pure algo book on some of the core fundamental concepts, I have found much success even today with these 2 books. I don't think there are any books that can do better.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.