Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid workout, but has some flaws, May 24, 2008
This review is from: SWAT Workout: Extreme Weight Loss and Fat Burning (DVD)
I purchased this workout since the description made it sound like it would be a high-intensity, interval training (HIIT) workout, and I've been looking for more HIIT DVD workouts to add to my collection since they are hard to find. (I have the Abs Diet and the Women's Body Type workouts, which are very good HIIT workouts.)

Most of this workout does qualify as an interval workout, where you alternate intense sections of cardio for a minute or so, before recovering by marching in place. However, some of the intervals have you using light weights (to do biceps curls, triceps presses, etc.) and doing things like push-ups, which also makes it fall into the category of a circuit workout. I mention this only because it will make it hard to fit into a training program; the weight lifting wasn't hard enough to qualify as a true weight-lifting session, and yet I don't want to lift weights without 48 hours of rest in between my weight sessions.

The workout is fun and moves at a good pace, but the first part of it didn't get my heart rate up very high. To increase the intensity, I ended up modifying the marching in place to light jogging in place. The workout also includes a tough, six-minute ab section, which I really enjoyed. However, what I didn't like was that the cardio section just concluded, without any stretching or proper cool down, before moving into the abs. After doing abs, there is some stretching, but it would have been much better to have included some brief stretching and a cool down *before* doing the abs to give the heart some time to recover.

The last thing I wanted to mention is that the background exercisers are all thin women who are clad in short shorts and tank tops. Several times, Commander Tom mentions that they are all "real people," and yet I would have liked to have seen some men and more people who look like they are just getting started with the workout program.

All in all, it's a good workout, but I don't think I'll be reaching for it that often. Although he had good positive energy, the instructor just doesn't motivate me like other instructors do. Overall, I'd actually give this 3 1/2 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2008, 11:06:10 PM PDT
Armande says:
I really appreciate your review. I'm currently in search of good HIIT workouts to go along with the Body for Life program which I'm starting this week. So many exercise dvd's these days include the use of weights which is great unless you're doing serious lifting multiple times a week in addition to cardio. I'm going now to check out Abs Diet and Women's Body Type workout which you recommend as good HIIT cardio. If you have any other suggestions please share. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2008, 4:02:28 PM PST
Leanne says:
Glad to help! I wish there were more HIIT workouts out there, but, sadly, those are the only two pure HIIT workouts I've found!

If you're interested in longer interval training workouts, Cathe Friedrich's Imax workouts are great (but they require a step), and Sean O'Malley's Cardio Coach (www.cardiocoach.com) workouts are fantastic for using on cardio machines or out jogging. Both of those, however, aren't pure HIIT since they're about an hour long.

Posted on Jan 2, 2009, 1:07:59 PM PST
M. Caballero says:
I believe this more challenging than the abs diet and the Woman's body type workouts I have done all of them and definitely this one is more challenging.

Posted on Feb 27, 2014, 10:40:57 AM PST
Emily Scott says:
This SWAT workout is excellent for home use. I think its level of intensity is healthy as opposed to extreme levels on Insanity and Pro 290(?) which are formidable and possibly harmful. This dvd can be made harder with heavier weights, more reps or easier with lighter weights, less reps, as Tom says. I belong to a gym, but do this dvd at least twice a month. I am now looking for more dvds with Tom.

Posted on Feb 16, 2015, 1:03:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2015, 1:07:22 PM PST
Martina says:
Leanne, I'm sorry this dvd didn't work for you, but if you want a "kick a**" workout! Purchase Zuzka's "ZCut Power Cardio Series". These dvds REALLY
kicked my butt! Good luck/God bless!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2015, 1:06:57 PM PST
Leanne says:
Thanks, Martina! I have Zuzka's DVDs! They're super intense, aren't they?! :-) Take care and thanks for the suggestion!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2015, 1:10:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2015, 1:11:11 PM PST
Martina says:
Maybe you can suggest a dvd for me, I must have 20 dvds for my abs but
even though I've lost lots of inches, I'm still not satisfied!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2015, 1:19:50 PM PST
Leanne says:
I'd be glad to help, Martina! Are you looking for allover workouts? A cheap, good one is Results Fitness: 10 Days to a Better Body. It has two workouts, one that focuses on upper body and one that focuses on lower body. I also love Tonique workouts -- they rally target the legs and also the abs. Let me know if you need more recommendations. I love to talk about workouts! :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Leanne
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: San Diego, CA