Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 17, 2011
This is for the Crockpot Classic model SCV 401-TR: (I honestly think some folks have written reviews for a different product than this and posted them here, their opinions and ours are THAT different!)
I picked this up last week at Target because we didn't have a slow cooker and the kitchen has a red assessory theme going for it. I admit I didn't research it a bit until I got it home. But, since I hadn't opened the box yet, I looked first to Amazon for reviews and was so taken-back by the negative ones I almost took IT back! Some said it leaked all over their counter, some said it was too hot and scorched food, they couldn't keep liquid in it, etc.
Then I went to Target.com and read the glowing reviews there, with nary a bad word on it. I decided that for $15 it would be hard to go very wrong by trying it out.
Yesterday my wife plopped a thawed pork roast in it, chopped an onion, put it in, and poured some BBQ sauce over it (enough to almost cover the roast- about 2/3 full), turned it on LOW (as she'd read the reviews too,) and left for work. I was home and checked on it four or five times during the day, almost expecting to have to add water or turn it off, based on what I'd read here. No reason to, as it was quietly bubbling away, NOT a rolling boil as some have said. No liquid coming out at all, as many said, not even steam escaped that I could see.
My wife returned 9 hours later to find dinner ready. She turned it on Warm, and within 5 minutes took the temperature of the inside of the roast and the sauce with a meat thermometer (at my request) and found it to be 190 degrees. Now, this was 5 minutes after it had been previously at a SLOW boil, so I figure the contents had cooled by only a few degrees, probably 10 to 12 degrees at the MOST. It wasn't overcooking. It was doing its job. The liquid actually seemed to have increased in the pot, probably a result of the fat from the roast being added to the sauce.
Result: the roast was near perfect, no burned areas, great flavor! My wife did report a small area (1" X 2" long) on the bottom ot the pot, right hand side, had a little scorching that she easily scrubbed off. But this was after 9 hours cooking on LOW.
IF I had believed all the negative reports here on this cooker, I would have returned it. But for $15 I figured I could afford to be wrong and tried it. I'm glad we did, as it was the best kitchen investment for $15 we could have made, and it is RED, so it matches the assessories, coffee maker, etc. in our kitchen.
ONE tiny complaint: the entire Crockpot is NOT one shade of red. The body of the Crockpot is a good two or three shades darker than the side handles and lid handle, despite what the picture shows. However, those handles are an almost perfect match of the red Hamilton Beach 49756 coffeemaker we got the same day at Target. Close enough for us.
Great simple, inexpensive Crockpot for a small family- and did I mention it's red!
ADDED 3/1/11:
My wife cooked something in this crockpot the other day and used HIGH for the first time. The crockpot did sputter some water onto the counter, not much liquid- not even a spoonful, but a little. I reversed the lid and it slowed the sputtering considerably. So, if you use a water based liquid and HIGH heat, expect a little sputtering as the boiling water makes more liquid accumulate around the edges of the lid.
11 comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?