Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Look! Style/Size/Model Explanation, March 10, 2010
This review is from: Ray-Ban RB2140 Original Wayfarer Sunglasses (Sports)
The first time I ordered these I was confused about the numbers and sizing of the glasses, and got it wrong. Here's how it works:

The glasses come with either a 50mm or 54mm lens diameter. I can't say whether they're just wider or are also taller, as I haven't tried both sizes.

They also come with a choice between two different distances between the lenses: 18mm & 22mm. I guess if your head is large, you'll probably want the 22mm option.

Model Number Explanation, as far as I can figure. Haven't quite got it down, but this should be close:
The set I own now: 902/57-5022
The first set of numbers is the color/style, ie: Tortoise frame = 902. The number after the slash seems to correlate with lens type, ie: Crystal Brown Polarized = 57. Therefore, 902/57 style is a Tortoise frame with Crystal Brown Polarized lens.
The second set of numbers is a little easier. The first two numbers are the lens diameter and the last two is the distance between the lenses, ie: 5022 = 50mm lens with 22mm between the lenses.

FYI: This style, 2140, is the "Original Wayfarer" style. Others include the 2132 (New Wayfarer), 2151 (Square Wayfarer), 2143 (Wayfarer II), 4105 (Folding Wayfarer), and the 9035 (Junior Wayfarer for kids).

I hope this helps!

The glasses do fog up easily, at least on my face. I believe it's because they are closer to my face than regular sunglasses. For that, and the lack of easy explanation of the styles and sizes, I subtracted a star, but I love the way these glasses look and wouldn't part with them for anything!

<edit> The New Wayfarers (2132) differ in that the lens is more shallow, so if your cheeks hit the classic Wayfarers, they probably won't with the new style. Also, the New Wayfarers have slightly thinner & lighter plastic frames. I prefer the New Wayfarers myself, but they don't make the frame/lens combination I like (Tortoise/Brown Polarized) in that model.

<edit 2> See Amazon Blonde's comments below for a correction and clarification to the explanation above.

Also, if you like the style, but not the way the Ray Bans are constructed, Maui Jim makes a more subdued, but better-made frame with the model number MJ242, sold at Sunglass Hut. They fit me better and have spring-loaded bows, which is nice. Also, they have rubber built-in to the nose, but invisible. They also don't hit my eyelashes like the Ray Bans do.

<edit 3> I've noticed several reviews stating that some sellers are shipping counterfeit sunglasses. I ordered mine from Sunglasses Botique via Amazon, and they are not fake, as far as I can tell! They have "Made in Italy" stamped on the side, the lenses are polarized and of high quality, and they feel exactly like my other New Wayfarer sunglasses. They also have "Ray Ban" in raised script on the outside of each arm. The pictures perfectly matched the sunglasses, down to the codes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2010 5:51:55 AM PDT
shppnchick says:
Hi I just have a quick question. The Tortoise/Brown Polarized, are the lens pretty translucent or are they actually pretty dark? It is hard to tell from photos and I have having a hard time deciding between the brown or gray lens.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 6:07:49 AM PDT
Actually, I'm pretty sure polarized lenses are cutting out half the light, so they're pretty dark. If you see another polarized lens on glasses that you have or see in the store, they should be about the same. I'll try to take a picture of a couple pairs of polarized lenses together to see how they look next to other glasses, and post it up here.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 2:11:26 PM PDT
Does the same model come in green crystal as I was looking forward to buying that.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 2:12:36 PM PDT

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 2:42:50 PM PDT
IMPORTANT: POLARIZATION CONFIGURATION

Great explanation of Rayban Wayfarer styles, model numbers and sizes. Your review really helped me understand the options. However, there was one error that I'd like to correct. Polarization is not categorized within the frame/lense color # portion of the description. Polarization is categorized as follows, with a number and the letter "P" listed at the end of the description.

Ray Bans come in 5 categories. 0 is for use in "dimmed brightness" (cloudy conditions). 1 is for partly sunny. 2 is for medium brightness. 3 is for high brightness. 4 is for exceptional brightness. However, category 4 glasses are not recommended when driving.
There are three letter codes. N-normal. P=Polarizing. F=photochromatic.

I purchased the same model, style, color and polarization as yours, except in a larger frame. The complete description of my glass order, putting together what's on my packing slip and listed on the glasses themselves is the following:

RB 2140 902/57 54018 3P which stands for RayBan Original Wayfarer Tortoiseshell/Crystal Brown 54 mm lense diameter, 18 mm bridge distance, High Brightness Polarized

The word "RayBan" is painted in white script at the upper right of the right eye lens. When the glasses are polarized, it is noted as "RayBan P".

I will be exchanging my 54mm for a 50mm (which I was told by Sunglass Express comes with a 22mm bridge distance), because the 54mm glass frames are just too big and the angle of the lense is too severe looking (weird-looking!) for a normal to large face. The 54mm is for a really large or wide face in my estimation.

FYI: Sunglass Express just wrote me that the "green" lenses that come with the tortoiseshell frames are not polarized, as that's what I really wanted. I don't know if anyone else can offer them online, but I was told at prescription eyeglass place that any lense can be made polarized, (at a much higher price than these, I'm sure!) if that's what someone really wants.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 3:39:55 PM PDT
Thanks, A-Blonde! I appreciate the correction and clarifications!

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 1:09:34 PM PDT
D. V. Price says:
appreciate your input, clearly you are an organized shopper. i have been searching for this onfo for hours! thanks!

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 9:50:56 AM PDT
robert frigo says:
i am totally confuse as i heard that there are a lot of fakes in Amazon made in China

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:09:56 AM PDT
you are correct, there are lots of fakes, but whats confusing?...generally speaking, if they say ray-ban and aren't three dollars they are probably ray-bans, if they say "wayfarer" or "retro" or something other than "ray-bans" they are probably knock offs.
you've (even briefly) compared a 5 dollar pair and a 70 dollar pair and you don't see the differences?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 2:21:31 PM PDT
robert frigo says:
My personal experience with Rayban Wayfarer 2140 tortoise 50mm turned up to be quite confusing - I ordered tortoise wayfairer and I received a pair that was not tortoise it was actually brown and were smaller. When i queried it they said that's what I have ordered and they were turtoise. I challenged them saying that i already own a pair which don't tally with what they sent me - they finally admitted that they are original Rayban but they were off stock (can't make that one out) and Rayban allow them to be sold...........it could be they are seconds to this day I don't know, that's why I finally bought from a Rayban shop and got what I wanted.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›