Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice miniseries, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Rome Season 1 (Amazon Video)
The first season deals with Julius Caesar, where the second season deals with Augustus Caeser. The series does a good job of portraying the major events of the period. They are fairly light on the battles, I think there is one squad action during the Battle of Alesia and then a couple of after the battle shots, otherwise the battles are mostly mentioned by the town crier or at feasts. I would definitely recommend watching it with the Road to Rome viewing option on. That option explains a lot of the scenes and what they are trying to convey - especially with the gods that helped me as they used odd names (Dis instead of Jupiter) and strange gods, not generally associated with the Roman pantheon.

As others have said, the acting was excellent, the sets were very good, and I thought they captured the mentality of the period very well. One caution, there is a lot of nudity in the series. None of it was necessary in my mind, other than possibly Antony and Cleopatra's orgy at the end of season two that clearly showed the debauchery of their court. The nudity caught me by surprise (I hadn't heard of the series, just wanted to get rid of some in store credit and I've always enjoyed Greek and Roman history). Secondary caution in the same vein, most of full nudity is male and there are several sodomy scenes, I assume the writers were homosexual.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012, 1:22:14 PM PDT
First of all, there was no "sodomy" in this show, at least not in the first season (I've only watched season 1). And you clearly don't know much about Roman or Greek history if you think the writers were gay simply for including male nudity or gay themes within the series. Roman men were free to enjoy sex with other males in ancient Rome without any perceived loss of their masculinity. Same sex relationships were a common occurrence.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012, 4:40:25 AM PDT
B. HALL says:
As you say, you haven't watched Season 2 and my post covered the whole mini-series. My assumption on the writers being homosexual was based on the fact that this series was geared to men, who were probably 80-90% of the audience. Writers normally appeal to their audience and since the audience in this case would be mainly male it means they'd prefer female nudity to male nudity. Therefore I concluded the male nudity must have been the writers' desire.
Same sex relationships were not a common occurrence, especially early in the empire. It certainly did occur, especially in the late empire by people of wealth/standing. They liked to prove they were above the common rabble by partaking in actions the rest of society found questionable or objectionable; dipping slaves in tallow and using them to light their feasts, bestiality, homosexuality, etc. If you read my post you would have seen that I thought they captured the mentality of the period very well.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012, 10:39:48 AM PDT
Thank you, I was about to throw away money on this feature, I am so glad you mention about the sex. I think Sex ruins the shows.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 2:22:32 PM PDT
Amazon Adict says:
Gee I never knew that women would not 'be interested' in homosexuality in a period piece. No kidding. And also that history, especially Roman, is what men are interested in, not women.
I dont want to see sex in my videos, its fake and can cause more harm than the storytelling may offer by adding it. I DID learn right here, that men were NOT DEMEANED in 'those' times.. and that is truly wonderful.
Too bad that now there is that same predic table distaste and 'not going to buy this' sort of instant judgement.
As a female I have learned a lot thanks to the openess of the media but I fear that most of the junk (not historical series of acclaim) are hurtful to the young kids that learn 'where' these videos are, and get the wrong messages way too early to understand fiction is very fake for the most part.
Its too bad that people are still, routinely, judged instantly. They are accused of having motives or needs to meet when they are 'only' creating a historical series of great acclaim and ACCURACY, or so I understand. In any case, I learned when I was about 7..judge not. Its a lot kinder and brings me closer to many beautiful humans all over the world. Its a big place we live in.
Its catchy.