BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by st vincent PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 22, 2010
In `"They Say/I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing', Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein provide templates that are designed to help students in college and beyond formulate scholarly arguments.
Specifically Graff and Birkenstein argue that the types of writing templates that they offer provide a framework for the development of critical thinking skills. As the authors themselves put it "Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this book is its presentation of many such templates designed to help you successfully enter not only the world of academic thinking and writing but also the wider worlds of civic discourse and work".
Although some people believe that critical thinking and writing are more complex than any set of linguistic templates, Graff and Birkenstein insist that these deeper thought processes cannot be used without the means to express them in a clear, organized way.
For the most part I agree with their approach. In my view the types of templates that the authors recommend provide a good framework for constructing academic arguments. For instance this book review has been constructed using one of their templates! In doing so it has allowed me to put their approach to a practical test, which has proven to be worthwhile. Some might object on the grounds that I have used their words as my own, and therefore I am not being creative. Yet I would argue that the words that I have contributed are my own and have allowed me to express my own ideas.
Overall I believe that Graff and Birkenstein's approach is extremely useful and provides a simple framework upon which to build a critically thought out scholarly argument - an important point to make given the simplicity and ease of use of this "how to" manual.
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?