Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Travel Accessories Book House Cleaning girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic deal!, December 25, 2010
This review is from: DIY 14/2 Awg 250-Feet In Wall Speaker Wire (Electronics)
I worked in a home audio/video store for seven years. We were a small family owned business. We sold the normal stuff, plus very high-end audiophile equipment. They will hate me for posting this here. But, I don't care.

We were paid commissions and when we sold a system, we made more on the accessories than we made on the actual equipment. Typical gross margin on a stereo was about 30% - 40%, if it was not on sale. It could be 5% - 20% if it was on sale. Accessories are typically 80% gross margin! That means if we paid $20, we sold it for $100. (The only thing that was higher gross margin was Extended Warranties - the biggest ripoff in the world.)

We tested the cables ourselves to see if there was a difference. We could hear the difference between thin cable and thick cable. However, we couldn't here the difference between brands. We took the best $2.00 per foot 12 gauge Monster Cable (triple twisted, multi-strand, 99.99% oxygen free copper, with poly-methyle-razz-a-ma-tazz coating) and compared it to 12 gauge lamp cord from the hardware store. It's impossible to hear the difference. We used to laugh at the guys who would come in and tell us they could hear the difference between the cables. (We'd laugh at them, after we took their money!)

Copper is copper. It conducts electricity. You need good quality, low gauge conductor. That's it. None of that other crap matters. It's marketing and hype.

The important factors for buying speaker wire:
- Make sure it's copper.
- Make sure it's thick.
- Has a decent insulator on it (that's not going to crack or get brittle.)
- Clearly marked for +/- polarity.
Then you just get the cheapest that you can find!

Here's the big secret on most of the cables like Monster: the insulator is clear because it acts like a magnifying glass to make it look bigger than it actually is. Insulation is cheaper than cable. Look at a cross section (the cut) and you'll be amazed at how much is just plastic.

People hear the difference because they want to hear a difference.

There are some demonstration setups that I have seen where they have spools of wire and you can switch between the two wires. You will clearly hear a difference. However, it's not because of the quality of the wire. It's because the wire is wrapped into a spool and forms an inductor. What you are hearing is the filtering that occurs from the inductor. That is just a dirty trick that any electrical engineer (or anyone who knows about electronic components) would clearly see as a trick.

This wire is fantastic. It's on a nice spool. It insulated well and clearly marked for polarity (red/black.) It might even be suitable for direct bury for outdoor applications. (You need to double check that.)

For low- medium- or even high-end applications, this is fantastic wire. You cannot hear the difference, unless you are going to use very low gauge (much thicker - like 8 gauge). Even then, you'd need to have a very very high end system (like $10,000+) with a very high power amp.

My only comment to mention is that it's not as flexible as some wires. It's a little stiff. That could make it a little tough if you are pulling it through a wall. But, it's not a big deal.

I highly recommend this wire for any application.

The price to quality ratio is off the charts. A fantastic deal!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012, 6:51:44 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012, 9:36:18 AM PDT
Eric R. Hale says:
Oh really? http://bit.ly/IrtDPg

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012, 8:58:54 PM PDT
yep. That's just how it goes.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012, 11:39:57 AM PDT
TP says:
Great insider tip! Thanks for the post. It was helpful to me in deciding the type of wire to buy.

Posted on May 6, 2012, 8:09:55 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
This guy is nuts!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012, 8:59:13 PM PDT
Eric R. Hale says:
This is why the internet is a scary place. Anyone can post anything.

I am quite certain that my calculation of gross margin was correct. In a previous position, I was accountable for the P&L of $25,000,000/year business segment. I was responsible for setting the price and my bonus was calculated based on Gross Margin.

In case you missed the link that I provided, the formula is:

Gross Margin = (Revenue - Cost) / Revenue x 100%

That is: (100 - 20) / 100 x 100% = 80%

I can assure you beyond any shadow of a doubt that that is how Gross Margin is calculated. If you care to enlighten me to some alternate methodology, I would appreciate you citing a reference.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013, 11:31:21 AM PST
Yup Eric is right, Joseph is wrong (math fail)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2013, 4:12:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2013, 4:13:13 PM PDT
Nothing here in these comments has helped me buy this cable. I do not need a math lesson. Funny though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›