160 of 160 people found the following review helpful
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Alpine Swiss Men's Genuine Leather Trifold Wallet (Shoes)
I buy a new wallet once every few years, and I like to go for one that is well-designed and well-constructed. This particular wallet meets all of these requirements at price that is tough to beat.
A quick overview:
- There are six credit card slots, a window in the middle for an ID, and the main pocket for cash. There are also two hidden pockets in the flaps (there is no hidden pocket behind the photo ID slot).
- The main pocket does not have a divider down the middle for separating cash and receipts. I liked the one I had in my old wallet, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
- The wallet is indeed constructed of leather, and it has a very faint new leather scent (but you'd really have to put your nose up to it to notice).
- Your ID slides into the ID slot on the right side
- The pockets for the credit cards are a bit snug. However, this is expected. Since the leather stretches over time, the pockets should start snug and then gradually loosen to accommodate your cards more comfortably. Even with this snug starting fit, you shouldn't have trouble getting one card into each pocket.
- Similarly, the wallet as a whole starts out feeling pretty stiff. But over time, the leather will break in and soften, making the wallet much more comfortable to have in your pocket.
- The wallet is average thickness, slightly thinner than my last wallet (a Columbia leather trifold).
- Finally, the build quality is very good, on par with wallets I have seen at department stores in the $50 price range.
At the current $10 asking price, this wallet is a great bargain. I don't expect to be needing another wallet again for a long long time.
I've had the wallet for a little over a year and a half now. As expected, the tight pockets have gradually stretched to be a perfect fit for my cards. Otherwise, the wallet is holding up great with no damage or fraying at any of its seams. In a few years, when it finally does kick the bucket, my first thought will be to come back to this page and buy the same one again.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2014 5:26:40 PM PST
Zach Scott says:
Does the center ID slide out on the right side or the left side?
Posted on Sep 28, 2014 11:20:41 AM PDT
Out of curiosity, this showed up on the search for "MADE IN USA" wallets. I'm curious if you know off hand or remember, at the time of purchasing, did you happen to glance and see where this wallet is made?... I checked the website for alpine swiss and it's poorly designed. Its just a billboard. Doesn't habe any links except to customer serice.
Posted on Oct 1, 2014 2:20:58 PM PDT
Thanks for the useful info on the hidden pockets!
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2014 8:29:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2014 8:30:48 PM PDT
Mine says it was made in India. Frequently, companies with international manufacturing source from more than one country, so yours could come out of China, Bangladesh, or another low-cost market. But if Alpine Swiss is taking the low-cost route, the odds are against them having any that are made in the U.S.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›