Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars A great diaper and a super value, March 30, 2004
This review is from: Kushies 5 Pack Reusable Ultra Diapers for Infants (Baby Product)
This is our first baby. I'm an at-home mom, so I'm always looking for ways to save money. We used disposables for the first 6 weeks while we adjusted to parenting a newborn. Disposables are convenient but they really get costly! Figure about $10-15 per week for disposables diapers.

I started using the Kushies during the daytime and really love them! It took about two diaper changes for me to figure out the best way to put them on our 11 pound daughter. But, now that I know, they NEVER leak. Line up the diaper along baby's back at his/her natural waist. The front of the diaper will be considerably higher than the back, as there is plenty of room to grow. (As baby gets bigger, the front will line up closer and closer to the back.) Fasten the velcro and check the leg holes to make sure they're snug. If they're not, re-adjust the velco.

They're very easy to wash. I do not put water in my diaper pail, because that makes it too heavy. I run them through the soak cycle, then a normal warm wash with very little detergent, sometimes adding "super washing soda." Hanging them to dry outside, even on a cloudy day, truly eliminates all stains. You can also put them in the dryer. Putting them in the dryer makes them considerably softer. You can greatly diminish drying time by putting in a dry bath towel with the wet diapers. I recommend drying them on low heat with a dry towel added. If you fold the velcro tabs back (like the directions tell you to) they won't turn into a "diaper snake."

If you are considering cloth diapers, I recommend you answer these questions for yourself:

1. Do you have easy access to a washer and dryer and, preferably, a place to line dry?
2. Do you have the time and energy to wash diapers about every other day? (It doesn't take long.)

Remember that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing change. I use disposables at night and whenever we leave the house. I figure some is better than none.

When my daughter outgrew the infant size, we did switch to Fuzzi Bunz diapers. They are more expensive, but they hold more liquid and stay drier next the skin, as they are made of synthetic fabric. Kushies are nice because only cotton touches your baby's skin. However, you will have to change more frequently as cotton doesn't wick away liquid. There are many cloth diapering website that compare different brands.

I highly recommend cloth diapers. They will save you money in the long run, especially if you plan on having more than one child.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2009, 10:09:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2009, 3:58:32 PM PDT
Good diapers. Cloth are the best for your baby. I am a grandmother of a 2 year old. Talked my daughter and her husband into using cloth. We have used all different kinds. Kushies was our first choice. They are a little bullky but o.k. to use at home. We use disposable when not at home. However, if you use disposables please use chlorine free ones. We like seventh generation. But they all work well. Find chlorine free in alot of stores now. Toys r us and Babys r us sell them. My grandson out grew his mediums in Fuzzi Bunz love these too. Instead of paying so much for bigger size diapers. Decided to use Kushies once more. Really a much cheaper cloth. Wal-Mart.com also sells them.

Posted on Nov 29, 2013, 3:02:41 AM PST
1/2DHsquared says:
I appreciate all the hand tips and tricks to using Kushies. This information will come in handy. :)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014, 9:43:18 PM PDT
Betsey says:
I know this is an old review, but I just wanted to make a few quick points about some of the things that this poster mentioned, in case anyone is still checking out these reviews.

1. She mentions using a small amount of detergent. I've done a ton of research on the subject (trying to figure out why I was having some stink issues with my diapers) and this seems to be an old school train of thought. Remember that you are washing urine and feces out of a ton of cloth, you want it to be clean. If you are using an appropriate detergent, you are not going to do any damage to your diapers. If your grown child had a bad accident and made a big mess in their clothes, would you wash them with just a dab of detergent? Probably not. You can use anywhere from 2/3rds the recommended amount, to more than the full recommended amount. It is a matter of trial and error depending on the hardness of your water, your machine, detergent, baby, etc.

2. Drying on a clothesline - this is definitely the best option out there for drying your diapers, and the sun is amazing at removing stains. One tip would be to wet down the stain (if your diapers are already dry) and set it out in the sun. I've found this is more effective at removing the stain than if the cloth were just dry. And also remember to never "hang" your diapers - *always* lay them flat to dry! Wet fabric is heavy, and hanging it can stretch out the fabric and damage it. If you do need to use a dryer, time permitting, you should lay the pockets/covers to dry on a bed, in the crib/on the crib rails, etc. and just dry the inserts in the dryer, on low-medium heat. Too much heat on the covers/pockets can damage the PUL and possibly melt it.

Good luck in your endeavors, and thanks to the OP for her review!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›