Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

on September 8, 2000
In my opinion this one is by far the finest work made by Vangelis, and one of the most outstanding albums in the history of contemporary music. Here Vangelis shows his mastering and genius in the highest possible way, not only in composing but also by playing all the instruments! Besides, he produced and arranged the album. I came into it around 1985 when a good friend told me that it included the theme music used in the appreciated TV series COSMOS, and since then it has remained as one of my favorites.
The first piece is smashing; it features some of the strongest chords I've ever heard. The combination of synthesizer, choir, and frenetic percussion produces a quite captivating atmosphere. The second one is a more choral piece, which seems to evoke some unknown grandiosity. Then it comes the third piece. Oh boy. I'm afraid I don't have enough words to describe the emotion it produces on me. This is the theme used in COSMOS, and I really thank Carl Sagan, wherever he is now, for having chosen it. This is the most perfect and moving vision of heaven I can remember; it presents an incredibly majestic conception of the universe, and inspires me (I hope everyone) the highest spiritual values. It really makes me cry.
The next piece is a fruit of the long-lasting cooperation between Vangelis and Jon Anderson of Yes. Jon's angelical voice is the most adequate to guide you thru this voyage to heaven. The second part of the album consists of one single and long piece where Vangelis leaves no doubts of his skills as a man-orchestra. The wonderful choir is present throughout the piece and somewhere in between there is a splendid female solo.
Vangelis' music is nowadays commonly calssified as "new age". I absolutely disagree because new age was not yet invented when most of Vangelis' productions appeared, and above all, his vision is totally different from today's new agers. If it would need classification, I'd rather take it as progressive rock or progressive jazz, but never as new age.
22 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.