Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Prime Day Lead Up nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc AWOLNATION Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $1.99 rentals for Prime members 1.99 rentals for Prime members 1.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Devices Starting at $29.99 All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 3, 2013
For one thing, it is a long title. I've been referring to this a "the book" in a series of blog posts thus far on this topic. Just suffice it to say that the book is mostly about why things are falling apart. The "what to do about it" is but one section out of six.

Most of the book is a hard read for me because I tend to want to remain optimistic about things as they are. The book's main message flies right into the face of that. According to this book, things are not going to stay as they are for much longer.

I began with the notion that I agreed that things are falling apart. The book confirms that and much more- which to my chagrin, is not necessarily what I really wanted to believe. What I wanted to believe, and still do, despite this book, is that we can work out our problems. The thing that is missing is the will to do so.

The book isn't really political, but there is some political stuff in it. Does it tend towards the right or towards the left? Actually, neither. However, those on the left may think the book is aimed directly at them. In a way, it is. That's because the dominant paradigm today is big government liberalism initiated by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in his New Deal. But it may be noted that a lot of so-called conservative Republicans tend to like their big government too, and are therefore wedded to this paradigm as well. The book also goes after capitalism, but does not extol socialism nor communism. To the contrary, it is critical of these systems as well.

The book's solutions tend in the Club of Rome, Limits to Growth genre. That won't work with the modern day real conservatives who believe in limited government and economic growth. I count myself as one of these, but not whole-heartedly so. I would tend to agree that growth for growth's sake isn't the way to go. But to eschew all growth and accept sharp limits is not my cup of tea either.

Yet, some of his ideas are plain old common sense, which I've heard is not held in high esteem amongst some on the left or the elite in general. I agree, they don't seem to have much common sense. The difference is that they are actually proud of that, which shows all the more how cock-eyed they are. This book hits them squarely in the groin, but it also hits everybody else squarely in the groin.

He gives short shrift to technological solutions. He seems to deny that these will prove to be helpful in the long run. I disagree. I think there are technologies that could help but are being blocked by the same self-interested elite that he is so often critical of in this book.

On the whole, it is an excellent read. It will challenge you to the maximum. If you are one of those people who sneer at common sense or believe in your ideology like it is a religion or something, you will not like this book. You may even hate it. But that may be the crux of the problem. People have to realize that there's a problem here, and denying it won't help us solve it.
14 people found this helpful