Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

3.0 out of 5 stars Key upgrade info, October 25, 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) [Old Version] (Software)
I had a difficult time trying to upgrade from Vista. I kept getting "unknown error" or "can't create directory for update files". Eventually I disabled everything running in the system tray - spysweeper, anti virus, and my background backup program. The install also asks you to un-install itunes. After this, I was able to update all three home computers. You would think it would be easy for Microsoft to detect these issues and give a decent error message - or include it in the installation instructions.

An update after using Windows 7 for a couple of days:
* Very good compatibility with programs, and printers. Everything came up and worked well. Even my Western Digital background backup program.
* Taskbar bar icons are bigger - I'd guess that most Microsoft designers are growing old with me and starting to use reading glasses
* Occasionally hangs when shutting down - I think that I have narrowed it to Spysweeper hanging out in the background and not closing. I do have the latest Windows 7 approved version. For now, I'll shut it down before shutting down windows.
* Did not see much of a speed improvement
* I had more disk space at the end of the install

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2009, 5:53:48 AM PDT
M Gerrish says:
They do. One of the first things mentioned in the installation process was to turn off and/or uninstall any antivirus software, depending on what you use. On both of my upgraded systems it was suggested that I uninstall iTunes. I did uninstall on one computer, but not the other. The installation was fine in both cases. And I thought we'd all learned through the years, whenever you install any program, turn off all the extraneous software to avoid any conflict problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009, 8:19:29 AM PDT
It's pretty funny that they want you to uninstall ITunes because it's an Apple program! LOL

Did anyone have any trouble with any of their programs working? I use ADOBE CS3 and cannot have this crash if I install the upgrade. But if it keeps the computer from freezing it will be a major improvement!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009, 9:53:12 AM PDT
M Gerrish says:
I didn't have freezing problems with Vista and CS3 or CS4, Cynthia. Are you planning to upgrade from XP? I don't have a frame-of-reference for an XP-to-Win7 upgrade, but I haven't had any Adobe problems since upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009, 6:43:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2009, 6:45:07 PM PDT
Just Us says:
Ditto M. Gerrish - I've upgraded 3 systems without a problem except a known issue on one machine with my firewall software (I too use CS3 and never had problems with Vista)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009, 9:27:50 PM PDT
S. McPherson says:
Same, when i installed the beta, instructions told me to specifically uninstall virus protection. Please read the instructions before giving a bad review.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2009, 8:00:51 AM PST
R. Chew says:
Did anyone encounter problems upgrading from Vista 32 bit to Win7 64 bit? Thanks for any helpful tips.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009, 6:38:17 AM PST
It's my understanding that an upgrade cannot be done from 32-bit to 64-bit. This path requires a new installation.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009, 5:10:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2009, 5:16:54 PM PST
i HAVE A 6 YEAR OLD dELL lATITUDE w/ XP It's slow and due for a clean-up and use by my Mom who will have little software on it
Will windows 7 help to improve faster use?
Judee

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009, 5:56:54 PM PST
Mary B. says:
Before you go trying to reinstall with Windows 7, I would try to get the pc faster as it is. Over the years I have found that taking a few precautionary steps can keep a pc running for quite sometime before the slow down hits. Three basic things, registry cleaning with a trusted application, junk file cleaning with ccleaner (freeware) and defragmentation with a good defragmenter not windows own. If you go to the "mydigitallife.info/" website (add www. to the front) and search for tuneup utilities you will find a free version of tuneup utilities 2008 and it has an excellect registry cleaner (maintain windows).

If your fairly sure there are no viruses or malware on the PC (they can really slow a system down) then you should see a real improvement after the three steps. If your not sure, download the free version of malwarebytes and run that to find any infection. If it does find things, then run it again from safe mode (F8 button repeatedly during boot), these type of scanners work much better from safe mode because limited drivers are installed that put the infection at a disadvantage.

I use Perfect Disk fior defragmenting my drives because it has the abilty to defragment the system and page file sections of the C drive after a reboot. Its not freeware but that doesn't stop me, its worth the money if you have to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010, 1:53:29 AM PST
duckles says:
You CAN'T upgrade that way. You need to do a clean install.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›