Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on July 14, 2012
Let me start by saying that I've used the apple bluetooth keyboard for about three years now, and after much thought, I decided to give this keyboard a shot. The reason for the switch was due to a few annoyances with the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I was considering buying the Logitech K750, but when I heard that a newer model was coming out with some new features I decided to wait for it. Now that I've used it I'm definitely glad I waited. I'll try to break down in detail some of the best features of the keyboard that I find most appealing.

Easy Switching - In a nutshell, you can pair this keyboard to up to three devices at once, and switch between them with the click of a button. I only tested this with my Mac and my iPhone, but it was worked flawlessly so far. There's a bluetooth button on the back of the keyboard that will let you choose which key you want to pair your device with, and once it's paired you can go from typing on a computer to typing on your iPhone in about 7-8 seconds. With the Apple bluetooth keyboard it was a hassle switching between devices since you had to disconnect/reconnect each device if you wanted to switch. I don't really have a reason to use a keyboard with my iPhone and I assume it would be much better with an iPad, but it is pretty neat having the ability to type on it if i wanted.

Design - I was a bit skeptical about switching from Apple hardware to Logitech hardware. Let's be honest, Apple makes very good looking products. The thing that i was most worried about was the fact that this keyboard was plastic. I liked the feel of the aluminum with the Apple keyboard, but after using this keyboard for about a week, I have to say that I don't notice ANY difference in quality. This keyboard is built extremely well and feels very solid as you type. I find the keys to be a bit deeper than on the Apple keyboard, which I really like. The layout is identical to the Apple keyboard, except for a few buttons up top. There is now a mission control and launchpad button, as well as the three bluetooth buttons. Also, the screen brightness is moved to the F6 and F7 keys that were previously black on the Apple keyboard (they are used for the backlit keyboard brightness on most mac laptops).

Solar Charging - I've only used this keyboard for 5-6 days so far, but ever since it was taken out of the packaging and paired up to the Logitech Control Center Software, the charge hasn't dropped below 100%. If you're thinking this keyboard requires direct sunlight to efficiently charge then you're wrong. A small desk lamp or a slightly lit room is enough to keep it charged. My keyboard sits about 15 feet away from a window with closed curtains and it still manages to keep a charge. I would even imagine the backlight from a bright computer/tv screen might even charge the keyboard in a completely dark room. It seems this will solve the battery problem with the Apple keyboard, which was going though about 3 AA batteries a month.

Now for a few negatives about this keyboard. Most of them are small nitpicks, that might not be a problem for most people but they still manage to annoy me.

The first problem that I noticed was that the caps lock light doesn't stay lit when you click it. When you turn caps lock on it will light up for 2 seconds and then turn back off. I've often found myself typing out a sentence or two before realizing it was on the whole time. (I should probably look up more when I type I guess lol).

There is a few workarounds to this problem though. The Logitech Control Center Software has two options for caps lock. You can either have a small icon come up in the menu bar when the caps lock is on, or you can have notifications pop up on the screen, similar to the ones that would come up when you change the volume. I never really look up into the menu bar unless I'm checking the time, and I really don't like the pop up notifications either, so I turned them both off, but I do appreciate the options. I don't know how much the light would drain the battery if it were to stay on, and I assume that's why logitech didn't want it staying on, but oh well. I'll deal with it.

The other problems I noticed was that the mission control and launchpad buttons didn't work out of the box. I was able to add a keyboard shortcut for the mission control key, but I can't pair anything to the launchpad key at all. I looked up the problem on logitech's website, and I still haven't found a solution that worked.

The last thing that annoys me about this keyboard is that there's no previous/next keys. On the Apple keyboard they are on opposite sides of the play/pause button, but on this keyboard they aren't there. I usually listen to music when I type papers and I've grown used to changing songs with those keys. The play/pause button is there, but unfortunately the previous/next keys aren't.

Those are a few minor nitpicks about the keyboard. Nothing too serious, and nothing that would deter me from using it. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

If you're looking for a keyboard that you would use for a Mac or possibly an iPad then you should definitely consider this keyboard. It offers the most bang for your buck, and is essentially an Apple bluetooth keyboard with more features. I know that people are attracted to the Apple keyboard because of its nice design, but this keyboard is just as beautiful, and I couldn't be happier with it. A very wise buy for sure.

As of January 23rd, 2013, the power in the keyboard has still never dipped below 99%, and I still only have a small lamp and the light from my computer as a light source.

I have also purchased an iPad and an iPad mini, and I find myself switching between these devices quite often. This is where the keyboard really shines since it is super easy to pair and switch between devices. Within 3 seconds the keyboard is paired with the iPad and is ready to type, and with the click of one button, the keyboard can be easily switched back to my Mac.

Overall I am still very happy with my purchase, and still believe that this is the best bluetooth keyboard you can buy, especially if you ever plan on pairing it to multiple devices.
55 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.