Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had done my research..., September 28, 2012
This review is from: Drama (Paperback)
First let me set the stage. My husband and I are college professors. We love to read. Our oldest daughter is in middle school, and she loves to read. My fourth grader has had a hard time with reading. From difficulties with fluency to overall frustration, she's struggled. That's why when Raina Telegemeier's Smile book came out, and she read it repeatedly cover to cover, I was thrilled that something had captured her attention and created a desire to read. So when Drama came out, I purchased it sight unseen. I surprised my daughter with it this morning. She was also thrilled to have another book to dive into. She told all her friends at school about having a second book like Smile, and they were all excited to read it when she was done. After school, I asked her how she was enjoying Drama. I was surprised when she got very quiet and said, "I don't like it." I asked her why, and she said it wasn't like Smile. I told her she didn't have to read it, but I was puzzled why she was so bothered. Then I read it and was even more surprised at the direction and maturity of the story line. I was also disappointed that my daughter was so deflated and let down. I was also angry with myself for not doing more research prior to purchasing the book. While other reviewers may feel this story line is something kids today face on a daily basis, I disagree. Sure, some kids may deal with it, but it's not the norm. I'm not casting stones at homosexuals. I have family members and dear friends I love who are homosexuals, but even they would agree the issues they faced growing up would hardly be appropriate for tween literature. The point of my review is to encourage other parents to do the research I failed to do, and be sure their child is prepared for the type and level of drama contained in this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 12:25:06 PM PDT
Jeff says:
Very similar circumstance. I wish I had done my research before my fifth and third grade daughters were exposed to the the mature subject matter in the book.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 11:17:04 PM PDT
Quazar87 says:
And yet you don't explain what exactly the adult material was the disappointed you and your daughter? How does this help anyone? Why make other people "do the research"? It's a freaking review, just say what you didn't like.

Hopefully it's not that a couple of the protagonist's friends happen to be gay. That's not adult at all; that's just life. Unless you're some kind of fundamentalist wackjob? Then it doesn't matter how many "friends" you have who are gay. You are still a homophobe.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 1:32:35 PM PDT
Tersen says:
Thanks for this review. This is the same situation in our house. My daughter was disappointed as well for the same reasons mentioned in this review. Regrettably, it was only after she came to me with her complaints about the book that I came to amazon to see if others felt the same way. Dad FAIL on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:23:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 11:24:24 AM PDT
Quazar87: Sexual issues are something that parents are sensitive to, regardless of orientation. I think the original poster did a fine job explaining her concerns. Every parent has a right to talk with their kids about sex in their own way, at their own pace. Especially given the fact that television movies and music seem to be pushing for younger and younger audiences for mature content, her concerns are valid.

I think you may have some anger issues to work out, but I don't think this is the place to do it.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:50:44 AM PST
Bill Shakes says:
You didn't do your research, so the book deserves two stars? It's a real shame that this book's overall rating is being dragged down by a number of "reviews" complaining about very mild sexual content.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:08:21 AM PST
You've articulated exactly my experience, thank you... Just wanted to weigh in to let you know this is happening to other parents as well, you're not the only ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 8:44:22 AM PST
Derek says:
I have to agree with Bill. It's good that you admit the failure was on your part not researching this properly, but then you give it 2 stars, which seems to be more of a rating for your research abilities than the book itself.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:15:08 AM PST
S K says:
I was also disappointed and am giving the book 1 star. There was nothing on the back of the book that indicated such a heavy topic would be covered for my fifth grader. She got almost to the end and put it down and said I don't want to read anymore.

I had read the back, read the author bio (Smile, Babysitter Club books, etc.), flipped through a few pages at the front, a few in the middle, and a few at the end. Nothing led me to believe it would cover this subject. If they had been more straight forward in disclosing this, I never would have bought it. I'm giving it one star because this was too big of a topic to not disclose.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:50:27 AM PST
To think that human sexuality, gay or straight, is appropriate for young children to read about in a comic book style of book is absurd. Let me guess how many young children you have in your household . . . um . . . zero? Am I right? Let's hope so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:51:35 AM PST
Could not have said it better. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›