Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2020
The beginning of this book starts with the tail end of a racy scene, and given that this book is about the relationship between a woman in a brothel and her gentleman protector, you might be given to think that all the book would be a bit saucy. But it truly is not. Rather, this unlikely kind-hearted pair has actually fallen in love over the course of their 2-year relationship, but they are about to be tried in the worst way as forces seek to separate them for their own nefarious purposes.

I found the first part of this book so surprising in the depth of this couple's relationship. It really was sweet, and the gentleman is the perfect beta hero Most of the time when a mistress or an exclusive prostitute is the heroine, the book and relationship can be a bit tawdry. But these are actually two very kind and relatively innocent souls who just happened to find each other in an unlikely circumstance. I quite enjoyed this aspect of the book. I kept hoping that their separation wouldn't happen and that those who would thwart them would get their due. Once they are separated, though, things got a little weird. What happened in the later part of the book with her just seemed wildly different from what happened before, so much so that it felt like two different books to me. I found a hero surprising, too, at the end when he had more backbone than I would have thought. (Good for him, though!) I felt like the author left too much open at the end of the book. I really would have loved to have known what ultimately happened with the father and the uncle. After all the build-up both before their separation and after, I felt like the ending was too abrupt. They deserved, and perhaps the reader did, too, a victory lap. As such, I find myself torn about this book. It has good points and bad points.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink