Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2011
In December, I got a diabetes diagnosis and started testing regularly. I also started to look for ways to drop some weight--exercising more, eating better. I was exploring a volumetric diet and fasting when I found Dr. Fuhrman's book 'Eat to Live' and everything clicked. This is the information I had been looking for--scientifically sound, easy to understand, neatly packaged, and compelling. I started the program a month ago (1/29) and have lost an additional 10 lbs (240 to 220 since Christmas). I'm off Metformin and my blood sugars have been normal for weeks. I go in for a blood lipid test next week and I'm expecting them to be dramatically improved (I'm also on 20 mg of Crestor)

I have no illusions that everyone will want to eat this way, but I've never had success dieting before and this works. I can see myself achieving a healthy weight and avoiding heart bypass and a lifetime of medications that mask the problems that my poor nutrition was causing. Highly recommended.

Update (7/30)
The test of any diet plan is whether you keep the weight off. Well, six months out and I'm below 200, down 45 lbs from my December weight. My intent is to lose another 35 lbs over the next 9 months and keep it off. BMI is now below 30, BP is normal, A1C is normal, triglycerides are below 100, I no longer need to use my CPAP machine for snoring, I run a mile + per day. I'm probably not as strict as Fuhrman would like me to be, but on the whole, nutrient-dense eating works and is my north star for regaining my health. It took me 30 years to get this sick. If it takes me a year to achieve middle age wellness it'll be a year well spent. Thanks, Dr. Fuhrman.
0Comment| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?