Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but not sure about charge reserve, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A122 BVA Dual aperture dial Watch (Watch)
I picked this up on sale at a great bargain at a store in Katy mills mall yesterday. Got it for 277 incl tax.
Here's the Good:
1. Very attractive, and shiny case and band.
2. Concealed, and seemingly sturdy clasp.
3. See through concept is wicked.
4. Large but not overly so, making for a striking piece.
5. The wind up rotor in the back has an acceleration feature where when you spin the watch to charge, the rotor continues spinning fast for a few seconds. This should assist with faster charging, I guess.

Here's the not so good:
1. The luminescence is not great during the night. I had it under a fluorescent reading light for about 30-45 mins and then wore it to bed. In less than a couple hours later, the lume was barely noticeable in the dark. By early morning (about 4am) I couldn't see sh!t in a very dark room.

2. Poor reserve life? Might be too early to confirm this, but....Even though I slept with it, I woke up at about 7.20am (after my alarm clock went off about three times), only to notice the watch had stopped at about 7am! I've had a Seiko Kinetic Sports 50 since about 1993, and at full charge, it only holds about ~12 days of reserve. I rarely wear it, so often the reserve runs out, and I have to keep re-setting it, and it is a bit of pain to reset the day and date in the right order. I told myself I would never buy another "automatic" watch. Well I ate those words yesterday. With this Bulova, it doesn't carry the day or date - so at least it's not a pain to re-set if it dies. I will see if I can charge it up with about 30 mins of winding, and observe how much charge it holds.

3. It is only just "Water Resistant" rated so I'm very skeptical about it getting wet. I don't plan to go swimming with it, but I am wary of water ingress like if I'm washing my hands, or it gets wet in the rain or similar.

4. Doesn't have a date readout. This is a good and a bad. The date is usually a convenient thing to have, but at least I don't have to worry about having to set the date if the charge runs out due to lack of use.

Overall 3-1/2 stars so far. Like I said - I've only had it for a day (and I didn't wear it to work either). I will update this review in time if I notice anything different that what I have here.

Edit: 30Nov2012. After three months of ownership I can only manage to raise my rating by half a star. The primary reason is this: If I pick it up from a dead state and give 'em 3-4 knocks on my palm to wind it up - it keeps going all day long without missing a beat, and then retains about 1-2 days of reserve if I don't wear it. So my former "con" of low reserve life is not so much of a bad thing. Other than that, I've receive some compliments on the look of it as well. Although the band has picked up some fine scratches as a result of me resting my hand on tables, etc., and there is a tiny scratch on the face already! :@ I don't know where I knocked it, but my advice to all is to be very careful with it. I also notice the price on Amazon has come down substantially since I bought it at a retail store.At the Amazon price - it's a great buy - but be careful how you treat it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2012 3:33:32 PM PDT
F.D.K says:
It's a bit silly to expect a Bulova automatic to keep 12 days of reserve. Check out Blanc-Pain's 10-day reserve watches. JC makes a nice one too, as does Patek.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 4:56:46 PM PDT
Anil D Dappa says:
Well I'm just now recognizing that. I thought that reserve charge capacities would have improved since I first got my seiko kinetic. But I just have to work with it. It's not too much hassle to reset it when I pick it up

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 9:50:27 PM PDT
Hawk says:
Most automatic watches, even thousands upon thousands of dollars only go 2-3 days on a full wind.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:48:29 PM PST
Chazman says:
I have a different model Bulova using the same movement. You do know that the watch can be hand wound, don't you? If you hand wind the watch 30-40 turns and the wear it daily, it should never stop, unless left unused or wound for a day or two.

This movement is outstanding for the cost, I have two Tag Heuer automatics, Link Chrono, Aquaracer, and a Tissot PRC 200 and none of these comes close in accuracy. I'm getting a +1 second from this Bulova and the best I can get from one of the Tags is +3. You can't buy a Rolex, Omega, or Patek Phillipe that will top that!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›