Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on December 10, 2011
For the novice who doesn't have high expectations they will make a great addition to any home theater. They are pretty good all around and nothing for the price comes close. However, the biggest problem I had with these speakers out of the box is the lack of mid range. Speech especially didn't sound where it should be and was improperly placed in the frequency range. The other problem was the low range. A lot of people say they have earth shattering bass, I wouldn't say so. Its certainly very good, but if you listen to music or watch movies with a lot of LFE's then you will definitely need a sub. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, in fact they are very good, just not as spectacular as other reviews will have you believe.

After using them for a month I opened them up and unsurprisingly discovered they have no crossover. Just some capacitors to cut off the low frequencies on the mid and tweeter. The woofer gets the entire signal. I didn't want to invest to much time and effort into these as they are temporary so I just picked up a stock crossover from parts-express.com. Their store branded version was $18 each. I wired them in and found the mid range I was looking for. They are still an $80 pair of speakers but they sound so much better. Most importantly the non-existent mids appeared, the highs are cleaner and more discreet, and the lows are smoother and punchier.

I know this is not the ideal way to setup speakers but its better than nothing. I am not going to waste my money and time by calling Sony for specs on their junk drivers and building crossovers from scratch.
review image
2020 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?