Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're going to buy only 1 Paleo or Primal book, buy this one, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion (Paperback)
Our family has been lucky enough to gain access to all of the recently published Paleo books. I was expecting this one to be more of a straight-up recipe book, but it's so much more! It's a practical application book for living the lifestyle. With tools, ingredient explanation, menus for holidays, and everything in between - this is all you need to get started. Bill & Hayley are straight forward and relaxed about the entire approach and it makes for an easy and entertaining read.

And then, the recipes. They're the BEST Paleo or Primal recipes we've tried, and as bloggers ourselves we've tried tons. Every single one is simple, elegant and brings out the style of standard diet favorites like Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) and Giada DeLorentis. The photos are unbelievably appetizing. As a gift to any friend or family member, they'd never even know they were missing grains!

The best part about the book for us, though, is knowing that a pair of people with talent by the buckets made this gorgeous masterpiece. This food, the photography, the recipes, the simple, detailed, and thoughtful layout are all better than most of the cookbooks that we have on our shelves. And we're including Julia Child and Alton Brown in that statement. A creative, kind, fun and humble couple put the love that they have for each other into this project they did together and the result was food made of love. Entirely. It's their photography, their food styling, their book design, their recipes. They've shown you who they are with this book, and what they are is amazing.

If you're worried your food won't look or taste as good as those in the books (common in our experience with people who don't professionally write recipes), you needn't worry. Bill & Hayley have been writing Paleo and Primal recipes on their extremely successful site and they bring that experience with them to this book. See our post titled Make It Paleo: Made with love on paleoparents dot com for a full review of half-a-dozen recipes, made by children's hands, photographed by an amateur mother yet still elegant and stunning enough to make Martha Stewart proud.

If you're debating which book to buy, I say hands down this is the one. You can read about the science of why to eat Paleo all over the web, but having a tool this valuable for how to actually do it once you've made the choice is invaluable. For $20 you'll have access to years worth of amazing recipes, on your shelf, kindle or however you choose to store it. We pull out ours at least once every couple of days for inspiration and how-to cooking perfection in our paleo kitchen. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2011, 5:38:49 AM PDT
Awesome review. Could you please tell me how dependent this cook book is on nuts and nut flours? I ordered Paleo Comfort Foods and there were so many recipes that had nuts/flours in them, that I had to return it. I don't mind if it says optional, but if it is a key ingredient a lot, I will pass on this one too. I love Everyday Paleo, by Sarah Fragoso. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 7:55:31 AM PDT
Deidre, I think you'll find this cookbook a lot more practical in terms of standard ingredients. The 80 pages of desserts relies heavily on nut flours, but you're going to find that in most grain-free books. The recipes themselves rarely use them, it's much more about using standard ingredients in the most flavorful combinations possible. Of all the paleo cookbooks out (and we own them all) this is the most like "normal" recipes you'd see on Food Network and those stars' cookbooks. The food we've made is by far our favorite from all of the books we've tried, plus I flagged about 3-4x as many recipes as I wanted to try!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 7:59:42 AM PDT
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your comments!

Posted on Oct 21, 2011, 6:47:16 PM PDT
Does this book include dairy products in the recipes?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011, 6:51:58 PM PDT
Dawn, I think there may be less than half a dozen that use butter but coconut oil or shortening are listed as alternatives. We're dairy free completely and the book was perfect for our needs, certainly not frequently using cream or ingredients we don't eat.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011, 6:54:09 PM PDT
Thank you, Stacy. I'm going to add this book to my WishList!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011, 1:49:24 PM PDT
Katherine says:
Could you estimate what proportion of the recipes are for offal (ie brain, spleen, sweetbreads, etc)?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011, 5:30:10 PM PDT
Katherine, not many. I don't know eactly but maybe a handful. I personally choose to add offal into my ground meat dishes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 3:15:13 PM PST
Mimi says:
Please enlighten me. What is offal?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012, 5:19:49 PM PST