Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 26, 2012
Norah Jones new album is an utter masterpiece to me. It is what "Rubber Soul" was to the Beatles; a complete change up in musical direction for the better. I've always respected Norah for her talent and unique voice but I could never find myself being deeply devoted to her albums until I heard this masterpiece. While I enjoyed her first two albums, the farthest I could ever go as far as listening to them is to just check her out occasionally. This is due to the slow tempo of her early work. In other words, I can't see myself listening to Norah Jones on my way to work or as i go on my daily jog because her music was too slow for me. The only time i could listen to her is when I was reading my morning paper and having my coffee in the morning. Before this album came out I always said to myself, "One day this girl has to make an album that rocks." Finally! It has come.

I came about hearing this new material when I was at the the Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco 2012. I went to see Norah perform telling myself, "I'll listen to 4 songs and then go to another show because I know she tends to be a little mellow." Mind you, Metallica and Stevie Wonder were also performing and they were more of the energy I was looking for but when I went to see Norah...SHE COMPLETELY ROCKED THE HOUSE!!!

First she started off her show with the classics from her first two albums then she declared, "We're going to perform some songs from my new album...produced by Danger Mouse." I thought to myself, "Danger Mouse? That guy is an amazing producer and one of the last good hip-hop artist around (contemporary hip-hop is a disgrace to music and poetry). Loved his album with MF DOOM. Can it be? Is Norah going to rock the house?" She opened up the new set with "Say Good Bye" and I was completely rocked out of this world. I was so moved by the music that I wrote down the lyrics to "Broken Little Hearts" and told myself I had to check this new album out.

I told everybody how amazed I was with Norah's new stuff and that it sounded like I was listening to The Doors but with Norah's voice. I was completely breath taken by her new stuff. When I went online to check out the new album I purchased it immediately. She finally did it. She made an album for my kind of crowd. I always respected Norah for her voice but like I said I couldn't get into her like I wanted to because I needed something with more rhythm and edge. I love jazz but I'm not into country so I couldn't get into the albums when she delved into the country side of things but "Broken Little Hearts" is revolutionary in my eyes. It shows her range as an artist and has made me revisit her earlier work with more appreciation. It an industry that is plagued by hacks like Lil' Wayne and Britney Spears "Little Broken Hearts" is a breathe of fresh air and I love it. It sounds so surreal and as stated before reminds me of the Doors but with a female spin on things.

My favorite songs are "Say Goodbye, Happy Pills, After the fall, Broken Little Hearts, All a Dream, and Miriam."

Thank you Norah. Thank you for making an album for me and expanding your horizons...I look forward to your next album. You really are a true artist in the spirit of the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Sade, Michael Jackson etc. etc.

I also recommend her album "Featuring" as well
0Comment| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?