Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 18, 1999
My mother introduced me to Edward Bear, Pooh and Co., shortly after a friend gave me a stuffed Pooh, complete with peach-fuzz pelt, little red sweater, and muffler, when I was three. Within weeks, I had memorized most of the poems in the two collateral books ("Now We Are Six," "When We Were Very Young") and all of the Hums... "The more it rains, Tiddly-Pom..." Our family alarm soon became "Tut! Tut! It looks like rain!" And our birthday wishes became "Hipy Papy Bth...." and remain so to this day.
My stuffed Pooh went everywhere with me, including college and Florida for Spring Break, and to this day, more than 50 years later, resides - what's left of him - in my dresser drawer. I can still recite many of the poems and hums by heart, and my standard baby shower gift, a hardcover library of the children's classics, always includes all four volumes.
I can't think of a better, gentler, more fun way to introduce children to the wonders of the imagination, reading, verse, wit, language... you name it. I still have my original four hardcover books and haul them out every so often for a refresher.
These books have stood the test of time for all ages of readers, in spite of Disney's disgraceful attempt to co-opt and cutesify them - truly the definition of classic. Indulge yourself and the children in your life - you won't regret it.
87 people found this helpful