Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanning the Faery Fire, November 19, 2005
This review is from: The Dreamer's Book of the Dead: A Soul Traveler's Guide to Death, Dying, and the Other Side (Paperback)
I think our ancestors knew some things we've forgotten. I'm not sure WHY we forgot but it's definitely time to start remembering. This is the third or fourth book by Robert Moss I've read and he always stirs me in ways I can't fully express.

This book reminded me of one morning when I was ten and I got up and found my grandmother crying. I asked her why and she recounted a dream that she'd had thirty years earlier that had accurately predicted the death of her only son.

All of our lives are full of such anomalies, such little bits of magic, until we quickly sweep them under the carpet.

Conscensus reality is like a carefully constructed stage set we all agree to believe in--until we see some pipes or wiring sticking out where they shouldn't be. We quickly scissor those moments out of our awareness because they don't fit.

Those moments are what this book is about.

"The Dreamer's Book of the Dead" reminded me of another book I read called "Lincoln's unknown private life, an oral history by his black housekeeper." At one point in this book this very ancient black lady (who reminded me of rosa parks) reported discussing the after-life with Lincoln and concluded by saying, "When you get right down to it, the only thing Mr. Lincoln REALLY believed in was dreams."

Indeed. Interesting an iconic figure like Lincoln, at the center of our culture, should hold views like that--and yet nobody ever talks about it. It's swept under the carpet.

This is a book about bringing things OUT from under that cultural carpet, a book about remembering things our ancestors knew.

My point is this--Moss's book says that being visited by the dead in dreams is something our ancestors accepted. Then he takes you on a very entertaining spiritual tour of the various imaginal realms where the dead might reside (and into which we will all be moving before too long).

He weaves that together with several colorful threads: the mystical beliefs of that arch-romantic William Butler Yeats, and that fascinating gathering of geniuses, cranks and visionaries known as The Golden Dawn who revived western magic in the early twentieth century.

It's not all entertainment, though, he offers practical advice on how to deal with spirits or ghosts in various stages of stuckness in the after-life. (Advice I hope I never personally need).

As always he mentions, in passing, things that fascinate and tweak the imagination--for example, british magicians (golden dawn?) battling nazi occultists during world war two. (Ha! What could be more fun than that?)

But what I really enjoyed about this was the sense that you journey back into the ancestral mists to revisit the spiritual beliefs that sustained our celtic ancestors for uncounted centuries before the coming of Christianity. That's actually one of the things about this I resonated to most strongly.

And, as he makes clear, encounters with spirits (humans who are "dead"), faeries (non-human energies), and various magical beings isn't really uncommon.

If you think about your life, you've had such encounters. It's just that we live in an era when we are encouraged to screen such anomalies out of our awareness (that cultural rug again).

How sad and how boring.

It denies a large part of who and what we are. Wouldn't you really rather open the door to the wider reality? What if we spun that oppressive cultural rug into a flying carpet?

If you agree, Moss will give you flying lessons.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 11:05:07 AM PST
ECL says:
i LOVE your reviews! i love where you are. your open skepticism i love and tend to trust. you've had the experiences; you're past the initial infatuations with what you don't understand. and you plow through your fears with a killer courage that makes me smile. wish you lived near so we could hang out.

you're wonderful. thank you!

--erika

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 12:01:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 12:06:19 PM PST
rain cloud says:
Thanks for your kind words. I always brace myself when someone responds cause i expect them to dump on me. Robert Moss is a great writer.

If you're really interested in this though you should also look into the Tibetan version with books by a) tenzin wangyal (who's a teacher ive been involved with) and b) namkhai norbu (a great tibetan master of lucid dreaming; his book on dreaming will be obvious from the title, though I can't think of the name!)

Lastly, "exploring the world of lucid dreaming" by stephen laberge.

they all have their short-comings.

moss's short-coming is he's so damned talented at lucid dreaming he hardly spends any time on the how-to. I was with him once and he told me, "You just lie down, close your eyes, wait for dreams to arise and then pick out one you like and enter it." Ha-ha.

To generate lucid dreams I have to totally focus on catching dreams on a little tape recorder, recording them and thinking about it (becoming lucid) throughout the day.

The tibetans are fantastic but totally focused on only their way of doing it. They do know what unbelievable potential it has. For instance, I really believe I've been contacted more than once by people (guru types) I was involved with who were far more evolved than me--contacted in a dream, I mean. Laberge isn't going to know anything about that.

I've also experimented with some stuff called "calea root" which they make a kind of oil out of. the shaman's of southern mexico use it. It's nasty but fantastic when it kicks in. you can get various versions of it. one place is a web-site called "the basement shaman."

I think another book that's very dry but worth reading is called "advanced lucid dreaming." this is written by one of the people out there who is experimenting with using various supplements which you can guy and take to generate lucid dreams. there's a whole sub-culture of that going on. I'm no expert.

lastly laberge sells something that's a sleep mask with a machine built in that will flash lights in your closed eyes when you begin rapid eye movement to alert you you're dreaming. I had no luck with that but a friend of mine generated so many doing that he said it scared him cause he was having trouble separating dreaming from waking.

best of luck and thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›