Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars From a Mom's perspective, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Wings of Arian (Young Adult Fantasy) (The Solus Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of young adult books because I have a 12 yr old daughter and a 14 year old sister who love to read. Plus, honestly, YA books tend to be clean and more fantasy, thus a better escape, than adult books. Since I purchased my Kindle Fire in March I can think of about 3 or 4 books off the top of my head that I really, really loved, enough to pass along to my other sisters (5 total), friends, even my mom. I just finished this book today and it's going into the keeper pile.

First, things I look for in reviews: no sex. Even though there is a romance, yes a bit too convenient and early on in the book, it works and is cute, not too unbelievable or over the top. Just the right amount for a 14 yr old in my opinion.

There are several curse words that were not necessary, in my opinion, but were at least the milder variety. And did, actually, make me laugh, so...shame on me, lol.

The theme is not new, a girl chosen to save her people from evil, but done in a sweet, refreshing voice. The author shows a great progression in the main character, a girl, from a timid, less than confident girl to a young lady who has come to recognize her own worth. I read the author's blog after finishing the book and this was no accident on her part.

Also, all the characters have depth. The Pegasus has a wonderfully dry sense of humor, the dragon is a hoot...shapeshifters, fairies, etc... A great range of characters.

This book made me smile and laugh a lot, something I really enjoy in a book. I read a review that compared it to a cross between Graceling and Eragon. I've read both, and this did remind me a bit of Graceling, which is MUCH darker than this book and not something I let my 12 yr old read.

I wouldn't quite give it 5 stars, just because I have read a few lately that knocked it out of the ballpark, but this was a close 4 stars. I will definitely read the sequel. And I just told my daughter she could read it :D

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2014, 5:00:42 PM PST
As a mom, former English teacher who prefers young adult fiction I'd LOVE to get some of your recommendations (you mentioned you'd read a few that "knocked it out of the park" compared to this book).

I love reviews that are logical and concise like yours! Harveykidz

Posted on Jun 2, 2015, 10:04:20 PM PDT
k kuhl says:
Thanks for commenting on the no sex in this book. That is one of the first hugs I look for in books for my two teens as well. My girls are enjoying this series on vacation. Thanks for recommending it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2015, 10:18:00 PM PDT
k kuhl says:
Have you read Light of Asteria by Elizabeth Isaacs? My teen girls age 13 and 17 really enjoyed that series. I too could not put it down. It was a clean fun series to read. We also just finished reading The water walker saga....well all that are out. the last is yet to be released. I have not let my 13 yr old read that series yet. Although the message starts out wait for marriage to have sex, the message changes to wait until you know they are your mate. There are no explicit sex scenes...I just do not want to support the message that it is ok to have sex outside marriage. That being said the series is well written, well developed characters. A delightful read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2017, 2:34:52 AM PDT
I too would love to get a few recommendations!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›