Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL ABOUT IGNORING THE COMFORT REVIEWS, January 3, 2008
This review is from: Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil (Electronics)
I read and read and read the reviews on these and paid close attention to the comments on the tightness of the headphones. Nearly everyone says that the sound quality is so fantastic that it makes up for the uncomfortableness. I decided to go ahead and purchase them. Got them about 10 hours ago. While the sound is truly fantastic and getting better with every hour played (That break-in time suggested is definitely true.) the tightness on my ears is not making me happy. I'm a woman and do not have a big head or ears, in my opinion, and these phones are almost as uncomfortable as my previous pair of [...] Sony V150s. I'm trying to ignore it and hoping it gets more tolerable, but so far no. Even within a few minutes my ears start itching from the tightness.

I am boycotting Bose for their ridiculously inflated prices, but my mom has a pair of the Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, and I LOVE them! [...] though. Yikes! I'm contemplating the Bose Triports I've been testing every time I go to Target. They are light as a feather and the sound seemed good from the demos. However, all reviews complain of the quality of the build on the headband. I don't want to pay [...] just to have the phones fall apart in a few months.

So, in my continuing quest I found some reviews on the V6 that mention replacing the pads with a velour pad from Beyerdynamic. The reviews on the difference in comfort are quite convincing. I'm buying these immediately and will report back my findings. [...]

All in all, I just wanted to write my review for anyone else that may be waffling on the comfort issue. Many say the sound is so good that it's worth the discomfort. Not for me. Comfort is a huge part of enjoying my time listening to music. I'm not an audiophile either though, so maybe it is worth it for those that can tell the difference in every type of sound. The sound in these is pretty awesome though. A couple of raw recorded songs that I was listening to with talking at the end actually caused me to jump because I thought someone was right behind me. I hope the replacement pads work because the sound quality is excellent, especially at this price.

2/8/08 - The pads help some but they still pinch my ears a bit. I found that taking out the middle foam section actually helps give my ear more room to hang out in there, but...... I actually went out and bought the Bose Triports, and while the comfort level was much better, the sound quality compared to the Sony's doesn't even compare, especially if you enjoy bass. I tried to like the Bose enough to justify the [...] I paid for them, but after several days of comparing they have been packaged up and will be returned to Target. The Sony's blow them out of the water. I am going to keep trying to get used to the pinch. That's how much I love these things, just like everyone else writes about. I've been hooked. I'm listening with them right now, and I'm in my own world. The kids could be screaming and I couldn't hear a thing. Probably not the best thing to do to my husband. LOL
UPDATE 5/14/08 - still loving these things, but I'm still getting the itchy ear when listening for any length of time. The velour pad replacement has made it 50% better though. The coil cord is also heavy. I can't leave it hang down. I have to pick it up and lay it on my lap so the pull isn't there. (I plug into my hard drive which is on the floor.) All in all though, I'm still very happy with my purchase. One more thing I would suggest, however, is to be careful when you pull the cord out of the jack. Be sure to pull from the metal and not anywhere on the plastic. I can see how these might get broken after a while if you always pull from the plastic. Happy listening!
8/25/08 - When you come back to edit your review this many times, you must be passionate about the product. And I am. Still love these phones. I'm used to the tightness now. One of my best purchases for the money.
12/30/09 - Well, it's been over a year since my last review. Since then my husband died of cancer in September, and my house burned down 20 days ago. Rough year, to say the least. Anyway, I came back to my review only because since my Sony's burned with my house, I'm buying another pair. I still love them. Someone asked a year ago about the Beyerdynmaic ear pads I bought. I forgot where I got them, but you can just Google beyerdynamic ear pads and places come up. [...] looks like a good buy. About $20.00. Happy New Year. I'm done with 2009, truly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2008 12:54:52 AM PDT
Bear says:
Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience in so much detail. It's gratifying to read more than just a blurb on a product one's considering. I might get inspired to get these.

Posted on Dec 26, 2008 1:41:43 PM PST
B. Moore says:
Hi Terri,
Thanks for such a detailed review. I think I'm going to purchase these headphones (after lots of research and having $30 sennheisers break on me after a few months). I was just wondering, where did you purchase your Beyerdynamic earpads?

Posted on May 2, 2009 12:41:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2009 12:45:30 PM PDT
I can definitely understand about the tightness to the head... which is why for the longest time I have been using earbuds... but I want to get back to a richer, fuller sound. I owned the Triports and I loved the sound and especially the comfort... I would actually use them as earmuffs during snowy winters in Minnesota. But unfortunately the band did break on them after a year of use... I tried glueing them back together with no lock, I tried using electrical tape but no luck... and then the next week while on the bus my Shure earbuds got snagged on the fare drop and broke... sheesh!! So I also am on a Bose boycott for having such poor headband design. That's like having a high quality engine in a car with a body that leaks water to the inside or more accurately having the doors just fall off while driving. Then there is the price boycott so I decided this year to go cheap after being more satisfied with a Coby portable DVD player over the Sony. So I purchased some cheap Coby headphones at Walgreen's and I HATE them, the band hurts my head and the sound quality is even poorer, so I might just get this headphones.

For the last few years I have been using an iPod, but I now want to return to the simplicity of listening to just CDs without the added frustrated of computer failures. However today it is difficult to find an affordable quality Cd player these days so I'm thinking of settling for the just over $100 Sony CD D-NF430 player.

Anyway thanks for the inspiration (as you can tell by my wealth of words) your review has been very helpful!!! Terri I give your review 5 stars!!!

Posted on May 17, 2009 6:21:53 PM PDT
Kerry D says:
I agree - thank you for adding the extra information about the headphones. Most people just write something about their initial experience with the purchase. We as readers never find out if the product broke a week later or what.

Thanks again !

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 5:09:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2009 5:10:04 PM PDT
I wish it was not as tight as it was when it was new, and now I wish it is more tighter than it is now because it is loosing its tightness after more than 2 years of use. In short, you may use something to hold it open when you're not using it to reduce the tightness. p.s: the sound is fantastic and even better than lots of expensive speakers.

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 2:05:45 PM PDT
Atari says:
I hear that, to stretch them out, get a basketball and put the headphones on them for at least twenty-four hours.

Seems like it'd work, but I easily get accustomed to the tightness of earphones because, well-- I'm a tough guy and I REALLY wouldn't let some discomfort stop me from enjoying my music. Especially if I paid good money for the headphones.

Posted on Jul 19, 2009 2:14:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2009 5:26:02 PM PDT
phototristan says:
It's also the ear pads which lead to discomfort with these headphones.

The ear pads don't fit totally around my ears so they press my ear lobes a bit. These headphones not the best choice for comfort. I now use Denon AH-D5000 headphones and those are the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2009 7:59:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2009 7:59:55 PM PDT
Atari says:
I cannot say anything about the Sennheiser 595 headphones, but I do know that the AKG K77 headphones are INCREDIBLY comfortable.
Some people, upon putting my set on, are simply impressed, immediately being aware of how comfortable they feel.

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 5:24:28 PM PDT
T. Peters says:
after the tightness started bothering me I just carefully bent the over-head band until the metal inside was widened out a bit more to accommodate my head size. Just do a little bit at a time to make sure it is somewhat even and not just a kink in one spot. Now they are much closer to being comfy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 9:25:59 AM PDT
J. Parmelee says:
I used to have a pair of Sony MDR V600s(a newer and different model than the V6) they were very good but I didn't like the way they were hard to get the adjustment right and were pretty bulky although still light weight.My cat chewed the cord which was so thin she bit it in two so I ordered the professional model called the Sony MDR 7506 which are very comfortable and lightweight in my opinion.They also have a much thicker cord and have lasted me longer since I've kept an eye on my cat. I also think the cat would have a hard time biting the cord in two it's so thick.
I am also consicering buying the Sony MDRV6(NOT the V600) as a back up pair of headphones in case my Sony Pro 7506s break which I don't think they will anytime soon.I'd probably buy them and another pair of 7506s just to be sure the discomfort claims on the V6s are true. I just want to see how they compare in sound to each other out of curiosity but I love the 7506s so much I'd probably still listen to that model more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›