Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on July 7, 2012
When I purchased the 60" version of this tv a couple weeks ago I was a little nervous since it didn't have any reviews at the time. However the 6500 and 7500 had enough positive reviews to make me comfortable, and most negatives had to do with buggy 2012 software which I'm assuming they'll address, and also which I have not experienced myself at this point. The 7100 seemed like a nice step up in performance and aesthetics over the 6500 w/out a big price difference.

I'm a bit surprised to see some of the negative reviews at this point. I've had mine for 2 weeks and thus far am quite impressed. I was replacing a 6-year old 720p 40" Sony LCD and the first thing I noticed is that this 60" 1080p makes lower quality programming very noticeable. No surprise here when increasing the screen size and resolution, clearly low quality programming will look worse. However when I popped in a blu ray (Start Trek 2009) I was completely blown away with the quality, clarity and sharpness. It was simply the best looking picture I had ever seen, and it was right there in my living room. The picture produced from my Xbox 360 was also amazing, it took game playing to a whole new level. It's clear that this set has the potential to display an incredible picture with a high quality source, however it will make your lower quality programming look rather poor, and even my Comcast HD programming pales in comparison to a blu ray.

I found the SmartTV feature really nice. The interface is clean, responsive and intuitive. I was disappointed with missing apps for 2012's including HBO Go and Amazon Instant, but I'm hoping it's just a matter of time. The Netflix app works nice and HD shows on Netflix look quite good as well. I'm also able to stream most photos and videos from my network attached storage device via DLNA, including large file size mkv videos (e.g. 17GB), including 3D as well. Unfortunately however my iPhone videos did not play.

Sound is adequate for tv speakers and for regular shows I just use the built in sound, of course for better movie and gaming experience I turn on my surround sound system for a better experience. Aesthetically the set looks really sharp, a big difference over the 6500 with a substantially thinner bezel and a nice lighted Samsung symbol at the bottom.

I have noticed a bit of edge blur which is apparently common for edge lit led tvs, but it's only apparent during some very dark scenes, and I haven't really adjusted the picture settings much at this point so I believe this is something that can be minimized.

Overall I'm quite happy and I think this is an excellent set for the money.
99 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.