Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Far exceeded my expectations!, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S3500 660 Watt 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package (Electronics)
I don't write reviews too often, but I was stuck between this and the Sony model priced very similar. I am extremely glad I went for this, the build quality is fantastic, it is very user friendly! My only complain is that the receiver gets VERY HOT! I am not sure why they did not put some sort of fan in the back too ventilate the air but it almost burns when you touch it (granted mine is not in a very good spot right now).

When the package arrives, I was in sheer shock at just how large the box was. I saw the Sony system at Bestbuy in the box and this doubles the size. It was extremely well packaged on the inside, the sub-woofer is HUGE! The headphone jack is sadly not 3.5mm but there is an AUX in the back I will have too try for my android (I sadly do not own an ipod so the USB port is useless).

PROS:
-Amazing build and sound quality for the money
-A TON of hookups, I don't think you'll fill this receiver up unless you own a ton of electronics.
-Speaker wire can be replaced and upgraded
-Easy setup, directions weren't too clear on what too put where but use common sense, its all color coded!
-On-Screen Display is very nice (must be over HDMI too see it)
-Packaging was very good, sadly amazon just shipped me the box so everyone could see what it was..would rather it have been placed in a normal box for privacy.
-Remote isn't over-cluttered.

CONS:
-Manual must be read on a CD, no paper copy is given.
-Receiver gets HOT! Make sure you have it in a well ventilated area!

That's all I can think of, I haven't had this more than 12 hours so I will attempt to update my review as time goes on. I cannot comment on the music optimizer. I cannot get it too work properly with my PC because my sound card is using DTS encoders.

Edit: I moved the receiver on top of my desk and now that it can breathe from all sides the heat situation has really gone down. I originally had it crammed into a small part of my entertainment center with almost the entire thing covered up (I figured this would be a problem). Doesnt get near as hot now, just make sure you give it plenty of room too breathe!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2012, 4:46:00 PM PDT
Nu Mantra says:
You cannot use your Android (or any other mp3 player) with this receiver? Have you tried?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012, 7:07:24 PM PDT
Sean says:
The USB port is made for an Ipod. I tried my girlfriends ipod and it worked great. All of the menu's for the Ipod screen shift too the display on the receiver and you can control it with the remote control.

There is however, an AUX on the back of the receiver. I have not yet tried it out but I would imagine it works the same as a car AUX jack. You would just play it from the phone and it would output too the speakers. Sadly android has no way too play music via USB like an Apple product does.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012, 5:04:36 PM PDT
Details1 says:
Great review.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012, 6:52:35 AM PDT
Hello,

Big favor, could you please provide the sub-woofer dimensions? I have limited space in my living room and I will have to put the sub woofer behind my corner tv stand. I have searched for these dimensions everywhere but I can't find them, that would be my only one concern. Price and reviews are great!
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012, 5:17:46 PM PDT
Arnold says:
from the Onkyo site, the sub dimensions are: 11 5/8" x 13 9/16" x 14 1/2" (295 x 345 x 368 mm)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013, 1:51:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013, 1:52:13 PM PST
I can attest, trying to hook up my Droid Incredible 2 via USB, and the Onkyo does not recognize it at all. I have a droid tablet as well, but it has HDMI out so I hook it up that way, no way to control it via the Onkyo remote, but looks and sounds fine that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013, 8:35:48 AM PST
Hi Sean,

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't auxiliary jack same as 3.5mm jack which generic phone or PC output uses?
I suppose Onkyo should be AUX-IN.
Has anyone tried this AUX with, say, a PC output?

I'm thinking of getting it for my PC/android and later could be used with TV.

Thanks.
Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013, 8:55:09 AM PST
i'm sad, i was waiting to buy this item today (cyber Monday) and is more expensive(333) than yesterday (270).

do you think that it will go down (the price).

i was looking for the RCA RT2911 i know it is a inferior system.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2014, 5:55:48 AM PDT
Michael A. says:
From the pictures (don't have the product yet), the AUX IN ports looks to be RCA jacks (L-R stereo audio jacks). You should easily be able to adapt between a standard headphone (3.5mm) output like on any smartphone to the compatible jacks using something like this: Belkin Audio Video Cable RCA to 3.5mm Audio Video Cable Extension Cable Black

Good luck!