Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars √ You Would be Nuts to Not Read this Book, August 12, 2014
This review is from: What Color Is Your Parachute? 2015: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers (Hardcover)
This book is widely recognized each year as the top guide to finding a job. Various editions of this book have sold MILLIONS. It is easy to see why. The author has extensive experience in the field, and backs up his ideas with impressive evidence. The research the author has done is impressive. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE? 2015 is not just a book of some off-the-top-of-my head notions; these are recommendations based on extensive study and research. His recommendations are backed up by FACTS not theory. What else would you expect from a trained physicist?

► THINGS I LIKED THE MOST ◄
♦ Insight into the actual interviewing process--especially the suggested time to take (minimum and maximum) for your responses.

♦ Bolles provides "Conversation Tips" to use for your interview preparation. This section alone is worth the price of the book. For example, "Conversation Tip #12,"Employers don't care about your past; they just ask about it as a way to predict your FUTURE behavior.

♦ Suggested response to the common question, "Tell me about yourself." Bolles notes, "How you answer that question will determine your fate during the rest of the interview."

♦ The 5 key questions that the applicant must know:
-Why are you here?
-What can yo do for us?
-What kind of person are you?
-What distinguishes you from other people?
-Can I afford you?

♦ Six Secrets of Salary Negotiation. I was already aware of some of these, such as not being too quick to mention a salary first.

♦ Suggestions on how to best use social/networking sites like LinkedIn. For example, the author points out the importance of completely filling out your user profile, so that prospective employers (who will search these sites) can get an accurate picture of your qualifications. I had no idea how important it was to have your PICTURE on these sites. Bolles notes that surveys always show that not having a picture is a turn-off.

♦ Explanation as to how the job hunt as changed in some ways with technology, but in essence is still the same.

► QUALITY OF EDITING ◄
+ Excellent editing and book design. Someone has spent a lot of time getting this right! The book is well laid-out into logical sections.

+ Even the appendices are impressive. The first appendix will certainly be the most controversial, because the author makes his own religious beliefs clear in the thought-provoking section, "Finding your Mission in Life."

+ Bolles defends his inclusion of religion in a book on job-hunting by citing this statistic: In the United States, about 89% of the population believes in God. So, Bolles reasons, "Leaving out a section that 89% of my readers might be interested in, and helped by, in order to please 11% of my readers, seems to me insane."

+ Finding your mission in life will not be trivial, and will not be quick. The author points out that being forced to find a job can also have beneficial effects on our whole life. It offers "a chance to make some fundamental changes in our whole life. It marks a turning point in how we live our life."

► OTHER APPENDICES ◄
The other, less controversial appendices include:
+ "A Guide to Choosing a Career Coach."
+ "A Ten Minute Crash Course for Vets."
+ "Sampler List of Coaches"
+ "Recent Foreign Editions" (well, okay, this one does seem a bit self-serving.)
+ "Final Word from Author."

The author's "PostScript" is a very poignant missive--almost a plea, to the reader. When faced with a job crisis, you can abandon your beliefs, or rethink the things that have been your core principles. "While we are out of work, we can reach toward a larger conception of our God and of ourselves."

√ HIGHLY RECOMMEND! This review doesn't do justice to this outstanding work. WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE 2015 is a COMPREHENSIVE, well-written book by the #1 expert in the field. Honestly, if you are struggling finding your next job, you would be nuts to not read this book.

♫ A Review by Chris Lawson
Advance Review Copy courtesy of NetGalley.

[Note: I do not know the author of this book, and no one requested I write this review.]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2014, 10:09:05 AM PDT
MilsNY says:
This is a very comprehensive review. Thank you. I wonder, how helpful would this book be for seekers over 40 years old?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2014, 4:09:57 PM PDT
Bassocantor says:
Hi MilsNY:

Sadly, companies love to hire 20-30's, but tougher for 40's and 50's. It seems to me that puts us at a disadvantage if we're not careful. I thought I knew a lot about hiring/jobs (I have personally referred 23 people to get jobs), but I realized my ignorance after reading this. I am not joking--I think this man is a genius in the field. I am 58, and not even looking for a job, but I am going to apply some of his ideas. I tell my friends who are looking about this book every single time.

If you decide to read the book, let me know what you think. Would appreciate your perspective.

--Chris aka "Bassocantor"