Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from Android phone, November 26, 2011
This review is from: HTC Radar, White 8GB (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I recently bought this Mango phone and switched to T-Mobile after a close friend recommended it. I had an Android phone with the old carrier and hated every second of using it. I was cursing at it even in public, which is not a good thing where I live. Anyway, I've had this phone for a whole week and I whole-heartedly love it and recommend it!

Now, I want to say that the biggest drawback about this phone for some people, but not for me, is the lack of expansion memory. It has 8GB flash memory builtin and 6.9GB of that can be used by the user for storage. I rarely listen to music other than on my car radio and I never watch video on the go, and the only portable media I'm gonna utilize are e-books, for which the Mango has the best mobile version of the Amazon Kindle app, and Amazon lets you store the Kindle books on the cloud. I just plan to use my new Radar for social networking, calendaring, and apping. So 6.9GB should be more than enough for me, at least before my 2-yr contract runs out. I've installed about 30 apps including a couple that take up about 18MB each but altogether they haven't taken up much space at all. And the Kindle app is intelligent in caching my ebooks, so for me storage will not be a concern. But if you want to load loads of music and video, you should consider the HTC Titan, with expansion storage support and a much bigger screen! The Radar's screen is the same size as the iPhone, or so I heard, and it's bright and highly viewable.

I truly like the Mango's smooth, fluid interface! The tiles on the home screen are live, and easy to see, and reflect realtime info. Scrolling through the tiles or the app list, is extremely smooth, unlike on a lot of Android phones and even the latest iPhone (yes, I've tried that, too). The Metro style is simplistic, emphasizing ease on the eye and mind, not showing off eye candy. The tiles are big so easy to tap without worrying tapping the wrong thing, like I often do on my latest iPod touch. This smartphone is fast, no lags like on my previous POS known as android. Everything is intuitive, unlike that old POS or (hohoho) my Windows laptop or definitely my LINUX desktop. I also like the search button at the bottom, it's easy to search on the web, or for shopping or for music (like Shazam) or for local to-dos!

Battery life has been adequate, i charge it once a day after making calls, surfing the web on the Tmo 4G network and also WiFi and playing plenty apps. I'm not thrilled about Tmo's 4g network as a lot of times, even outdoors, I have trouble connecting on 4g. But I love my Radar!! Perfect size and weight and such a pleasure to use on a daily basis. It's a winner!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2011, 7:33:22 AM PST
For Real says:
Took for ever for my review to show up! I just wanted to add, you get two cameras on the Radar, 5-mp on the back and VGA on the front. You can download apps to use the front camera for video conferencing... but! Skype is still a no show on WP7.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011, 6:33:07 PM PST
gmt_749 says:
according to the product description, the 8 gb of memory avaliable is expandable. is this not true then? because i have a 32 gb zune that has about 20gb used already, and id like to replace the zune with a windows phone instead...

Posted on Dec 19, 2011, 3:52:52 PM PST
Tim says:
Storage is expandable, but only by Tmobile using MS certified SD cards to maintain performance. The cards are priced comparable to those you buy on your own. I have a similar Windows Phone and love the interconnected apps and usability, especially for seeing all my contacts' tweets, Facebook, and pictures in one place and getting automatic updates when someone changes their email, profile picture, phone #, etc. The messaging is purely awesome - whether I talk to someone using text/SMS, Facebook chat, or IM, the whole conversation with that person is in one threaded view, so I don't have to switch apps to keep messaging or remember a previous discussion. Skype is now available, too, btw.

Back to the storage question, almost all windows phones' storage can be expanded - it just has to be done with the SD cards that are only available through the mobile carriers. It's better to do it up-front, but can be done anytime... Just make sure you back up your phone first because the special SD cards and internal storage (or existing sd cards) are all reformatted to be used as a one contiguous "unit" rather than the way other phones use them as interchangeable "extra" storage. My HTC HD7 came with 16Gb, I think, but I have it closer to 64Gb now for all my music and podcasts. MS's support site has an article about how their phones use SD cards if you want more information.
This phone looks awesome, and I can't wait to upgrade to it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›