Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 is a must read. Book 2 is a great supplement. Book 3 is a train wreck. Abandon ship before book 3!, November 10, 2013
This review is from: The Divergent Series Complete Collection: Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant (Kindle Edition)
Read books 1 and 2 then walk away and let your imagination write the ending for you.

Book 1: Suspenseful. Builds a fresh concept in YA dystopian books. Loved Roth's ability to create a microcosm that is exciting, engaging and such a page turner. Loved this book and recommended it to friends and family. 4.5 stars

Book 2: Continues to reveal more about the community and preludes to secrets beyond their little world. Builds the 2 main characters and lays a plausible foundation and leaves you wanting more. 4 stars

Book 3: Unbelievable, hard to distinguish the voices, meanders aimlessly, and has an absolute meaningless ending. Renders the journey pointless and leaves the reader wondering why she bothered. Poorly executed writing. Was it the same author? Did she have a deadline she couldn't meet? Where was her editor? 2 stars and only because the cover art was great. Book itself is drivel. I keep expecting a "Just kidding, here's the real book' announcement. The only thing weaker would have been "… and then Tris woke up and it was aaalllll a bad, bad dream."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2013 12:34:07 PM PST
The ending is vital and completes the series but most people read too lightly or too superficially and may not see that. Veronica Roth explains the ending on her blog and what you might have missed. There are spoilers for all the books in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 5:49:23 PM PST
I can't speak for this reviewer, but the ending isn't really the problem-as the reviewer says, the entire 3rd book is a bit of a train wreck. The indistinguishable voice is troubling, in addition to the fact that a good portion of the book is non-vital meandering. Overall, the third book is a disappointment, ending aside!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 6:12:50 PM PDT
Shaun says:
I think the third book falls under the final (book/season) syndrome. Like the "sophomore slump" but for the final book. I feel the popularity and film went to her head and ultimately affected her mindset and writing for the final book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2014 11:52:03 AM PDT
Sir Pentor says:
Gary D,

When you say;
"The ending is vital and completes the series but most people read too lightly or too superficially and may not see that. Veronica Roth explains the ending on her blog and what you might have missed."

The fact that Roth had to explain the ending rather makes the point "Boy Mom" was arguing for.

Roth is a good writer (and one doesn't have to be a good writer to recognize one - one has to be a good reader) but her young age shows; especially in the 3rd book.

Happily, for her, writing is a skill that often gets better with age. Unlike say mathematical prowess which starts to show invariant measurable decline starting sometime after about 30 years of age.

As to how she ultimately handles the character of Tris, I can only say most readers (and therefore most fans) thought book 3 failed on that and many other counts - comparing it only to books 1 and 2. And I agree with the majority assessment.

Unlike another very young best-selling author (Chris Paolini), who clearly improved as an author through his first series, Roth did not. Roth is one of the lucky ones who wrote what she did at the right time and it catapulted her to fame and fortune.

And yes I'm well aware of other, much older, best-selling authors who've spilled much ink and created so few lasting moments <cough> Stephen King <cough>. And yes I've read Roth's post-hoc justification on her blog. There's no accounting for taste or fads. I say all this with the intention of "reviewing the book as it was meant to be; not as what I wanted it to be".

Book 3 failed the series - the fans have spoken.

Posted on May 30, 2014 4:10:07 PM PDT
S. Keightley says:
Since it's not possible to buy just 2/3 of a trilogy on Kindle, I gambled and got the whole thing, dreading Allegiant based largely on your dismissal. Luckily, we're different people and I wasn't nearly so disappointed in the 3rd novel. I agree that Tris & Tobias' narrative voices are indistinguishable but felt the plot worked. I'll have to go read Roth's justification now...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2015 3:58:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2015 3:59:05 PM PDT
KennethF says:
Thanks for posting that link to the author's blog. I just finished Insurgent. I'm not going to get Allegant. I read what happens. I read what the author thinks. I think she's lost it. I'm done. Thanks again for saving me my time, and reducing my disappointment.

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 7:53:02 PM PDT
Book Junkie says:
I agree, book three was BAD! I think Roth was suffering from what I call the "I'm a bestselling author and people will buy it anyway" syndrome. She knew that fans of the first two books would buy the third. She knew that because she is now a name, people will buy anything she writes.

To me, the series started to fall apart in Insurgent, but the third book ruined everything I loved about Divergent. It's as though she forgot her own story, or just didn't care anymore.

Anyway, if you're looking for a different read, you can try the Solaris Saga. I'm on book 2, Solaris Seeks. It's space opera, not dystopian, but there's no cheesy romance. I never liked the romance between Tris and Tobias, always thought it was just thrown in there.

Just my two cents. Hated the third book and will never read the series again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›