Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

1.0 out of 5 stars Why are the characters in this movie so dumb?!? *SPOILERS*, April 18, 2008
This review is from: The Mist (DVD)
The mist, is without a doubt Stephen King's worst punishment to his fans since Rose Red.

Now, I know that the people in horror movies are supposed to be on the stupid side or otherwise no one would die and it wouldn't be much of a horror movie. But this, my friends... Is ridiculous! I don't know if breathing in the mist somehow effects your brain, if so, they certainly didn't mention it in the movie, but you'll watch the character's in this movie continuously make the dumbest mistakes possible! So dumb in fact, that it ruins the entire movie!

The ridiculousness starts at the beginning of the movie, after a tree crashes through the main character's window during a storm, he starts to drive to the store with his son and next door neighbor. As he's driving down the road, he sees several trucks full of soldiers headed in the direction of his house, but rather than thinking this odd and turning back, he just keeps right on going.

Fast forward to when he's already inside the store after everyone sees just how dangerous the mist is and how after anyone goes into it, you hear lots of screaming and ripping noises, and the person who went in doesn't seem to come back. Hmmmm... Could this suggest that there's something bad in the the mist and that the reason why there's so much screaming when somebody goes in and doesn't come back is because whatever was inside killed them??? Aparently not, because when the generator that powers the store stops working and the main character tells them not to go outside to try and fix it because a moment ago he saw something banging on the garage door, they all accuse him of imagining it. Then one of the teenage workers offers to go outside and fix it, and guess what? He gets killed by some sort of huge tentacled monster just seconds after opening the door. *GASPS* Didn't see that one coming...

Fast forward again to later in the movie, it's night now and after what happened to the teenage boy everyone has piled bags of dog food, charcole, fertilizer, etc against all the doors and windows. (Yeah, that oughta keep 'em out...) They've also come up with the grand idea of soaking the heads of mops in buckets of kerosene to use as torches! (Bravo!) As well as rigging up an emergency lighting system of heat lamps powered by batteries.
Now here's where the main character becomes just as dumb as everyone else and stops being the voice of reason in the film... One of the characters is sitting by a window with a lanturn, and suddenly a large insect-like monster with a huge stinger lands on the window. More people show up with there lanturns to investigate, and more bugs fly onto the window. Anyone else here know what attracts insects? Well, after standing there for what might as well have been an hour, our sharp-as-a-tack hero realizes that the bugs are being attracted by the light. (Once again, if I realized the minute that the first bug flew onto the window that the lanturn attracted it, then how dumb are the people in this town that it took them that long to figure it out?!) By the time our brilliant hero has uncovered the mystery of what has attracted the bugs, the guys in the back of the store figured it was the best idea to turn on the emergency lights and point them at the front window! A big gargoyle-like thing crashes through the window, the idiots light their torches and one of them procedes to trip over the buckets of kerosene that they left lying in the middle of the floor for easy access, thus burning himself alive & catching the store afire!

Now, I should've stopped watching here, but I drove on...
Later that night, they put out the fire, and saved the guy who lit himself and the store on fire. A woman who can no longer take the fear, commits suicide that night by swollowing a handful of pills, and the idiots carry her body to the window. (I was surprised at that point to see that they didnt break open the window, put her body on a grill as some form of funerary pyre, and have a fan blow her roasting fumes out the open window.)
After that, the idiots decide to go next door to the pharmacy to treat the guy who cooked himself. More people die and the dumb guy is dead by the time they make it back.
Next, the crazy overly-Christian lady starts a cult inside the store and pretty much everyone joins, then they sacrafice a young army cadet for the sins that brought this horror upon them.
Our hero, his son, the babysitter, the lovable old lady, and the nice old man escape, get into a car and attempt to drive beyond the reach of the mist.
After awhile, the car runs out of gas and they decide to commit suicide by shooting themselfs with their gun. (Now, with all the wrecked cars lying around them, you'd figure that they would just siphon some gas, but aparently killing themselves was a better idea...) 4 bullets, 5 people... Our hero shoots his son, the babysitter, and the 2 old people. He then gets out of the car and screams his head off at the horror of what he has just done.
Seconds later, a tank and soldiers show up with several trucks filled with survivors, and the soldiers procede to use flame throwers to burn down these large cacoons that were hanging from the trees. After the cacoons are all burned, the mist dissipates... Then, the movie ends...
And to think, if the main character had've gotten out of the car to siphon gas, one of the other survivors could've covered him with the hand gun, then they could've gotten back into the car, and before they could even turn the key they would've seen the army.

So, in the end, it was a dumb movie, with dumb characters, that had a dumb ending because they were dumb...
Now normally, I would've thought that our beloved scare master Stephen King had purposely made everyone so dumb as some kind of moral to the story, but alas... It wasn't presented in that way. It was meant to appear as a tragically ironic, "Oh, if they only had've waited another second..." ending.

Also, as a Stephen King fan, I wasn't fond of the teaser within the movie...
At the begining, the main character is drawing a painting of Roland from Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series with a rose at his side and the fabled tower in the background. Then later, you find out that the main character draws movie posters... Now, if that was only a fan teaser and Stephen King never makes The Dark Tower into a movie, then that's just cruel... We've all been begging him to make a Gunslinger movie for years!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2008 2:35:51 PM PDT
LOL, agreed. I'd die trying before taking the easy way/cowards way out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2008 8:15:57 PM PDT
Neal says:
Frankly - I think you completely missed the point of the movie being a social commentary about how people all react differently in very stressful situations. Did you ever see the movie "Lifeboat", or a lesser example "The Posieden Adventure? I'll bet you might think those movies dumb too. I hope when I grow I can be a smart as you. Oh, does that sound cynical??? In my opinion after reading your very long a drawn put verbal vomit, I think you are dumb and shouldn't critique any further movies until you've had the opportunity to make one yourself. Oh and one of the other clearly seen movie posters was John Carpenter's version of "The Thing". BTW, that already is a movie in case you didn't know. So as much as I would love to see a WELL DONE WORD FOR WORD, SCENE FOR SCENE version of the Dark Tower, Unless it's done like LOTR was done over many years, I doubt it will ever be made. Unleass you prefer another "The Stand"?

As far as the other comment here - I don't thin it is funny, but I think that I would have tried everything - which of course is exactly what they thought they all HAD done before pulling the rigger. Oh yeah, who said that either they or any of the vehicles thay passed had some hose for syphoning gas out of to keep driving?? I don't normally keep that in my car - do you? And if given their choice of starving/dehydrating to death slowly, give me a bullet in the head anytime.

Posted on Apr 20, 2008 8:17:51 AM PDT
Dogen says:
I found this to be one of the worst reviews I've read, in a long time! For those that haven't seen "The Mist" please know this person is way off! When we watched it, we planned to buy another copy, with the extra's, and put it on our top 5 best Horror flicks!

I haven't had a reaction to a movie of this kind, for years. That's what I go by, negative or positive doesn't matter, it's what the movie does to you, and this one had us transfixed!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2008 9:34:04 PM PDT
Brian says:
"A woman who can no longer take the fear, commits suicide that night by swollowing a handful of pills, and the idiots carry her body to the window."

Really? In what new version of the film did this happen? As far as I could tell, those "idiots" took her body to the store-room, well out of view of everyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 12:10:35 PM PDT
So, what you're saying is... I shouldn't critique any more crappy movies until I make one myself? In that case, I'll get started straight away!!!
Oh, but I doubt that I'll be able to make a movie this bad...
And as a matter of fact, yes, there is a hose in both my car & my RV. It's one of those things that they recommend you keep in your car in the driver's safety handbook, but you wouldn't know that, would you? You're supposed to keep things like a jug of water, road flares, & a hose in your car incase of emergency. A jug of water can be used to cool an over-heated engine or as a drink, road flares are for if your car breaks down, and a hose has several purposes, the most obvious being draining water that may have gotten into parts of the engine after hydroplaning.

But since you don't have one in your car, and can't think of one of the many other ways to drain a gas tank without a hose, I guess you have no choice but to pull the "rigger" as you call it...

Posted on Apr 27, 2008 8:11:46 PM PDT
Nico1908 says:
Spot-on review! Thank you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 10:44:37 AM PDT
Thanks alot! I'm glad that someone agrees with me...
I can't believe so many people liked this movie, and bash me for hating it!
I would've loved this movie if all the characters weren't as dumb as a sack of potatoes, but aparently everyone else thinks that the characters reactions to things in this movie were quite natural and not at all stupid. (If that's true, then I weep for the future...)

Stephen King has done WAY better than this as far as adaptions of his books have gone.
And to anyone who would blindly defend this movie despite all of it's faults, I ask you this... Given the choice, what would you rather have to sit down right now and see, The Mist or IT?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2008 8:21:58 AM PDT
Nico1908 says:
"Thanks alot! I'm glad that someone agrees with me..."

You're welcome! I'm glad there are people like you who, after watching this bunch of dimwits for two hours (which felt like four because the characters were so lame), are still coherent enough to put their fingers on the stupidity of it all. Me, I felt like a sack of potatoes afterwards - an empty one!

Posted on Apr 30, 2008 8:24:17 AM PDT
Nico1908 says:
"Fast forward again to later in the movie, it's night now and after what happened to the teenage boy everyone has piled bags of dog food, charcole, fertilizer, etc against all the doors and windows. (Yeah, that oughta keep 'em out...)"

Especially the dog food! Didn't the tentacle rip apart and eat a bag of dog food in the storage room earlier? Piling it up right in front of the cracked windows - that's basically opening the doors and shouting, "Free appetizers!".

What a bunch of morons.

Posted on Apr 30, 2008 8:29:52 AM PDT
Nico1908 says:
"Aparently not, because when the generator that powers the store stops working and the main character tells them not to go outside to try and fix it..."

The generator never gets fixed, but the lights etc. in the store miraculously keep working. (My husband and I agreed it must have been Fred's doing. Fred is Bob's brother. Bob is the one operating the fog machines in all those pseudo-horror/action/fantasy movies, like Pathfinder... or this one!).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›