BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

This review will be incomplete as I have only watched the first 3 movies. I have the Standard DVD collection minus "Rocky Balboa' and was happy with it but since Amazon offered it at a very good $19.00 on Blu Ray I thought I would take a chance. So far, and especially for Rocky and Rocky 11, the video is damn awful and I doubt the transfers were from original masters. The amount of grain is as obvious as you can get, it is all over each of the films. For the Rocky 111 film, you can actually see the drop outs from whatever footage they transferred it from. The DTSHD 5.1 audio is a joke for the first 3 films as well. While the score is spread to all channels, there is almost no use of the rear channels at all and especially for the fight scenes where the crowds are all over the arena, you would expect to have some audio coming from behind you as much as from in front of you. I will watch the remaining films and add to this review but I am seriously considering returning the whole thing.

On a positive note, the packaging is excellent as each separate disc is on its own individual plastic page and kept separate from touching the other discs. Removing or replacing a disc is easy and safe for the DVDs.

If you already have these movies from the original release, don't bother with the blu ray versions as you really won't see an improvement. Have now watched Rocky IV and V...they are no better than the others in terms of video and audio quality. My wife thinks I am crazy to do this Rocky marathon but I had to get through them. I will say that there is some minor improvement in V but that is not due to the video/audio transfer, but to better technology after all those years.

Addendum, just noticed that one of the discs is missing, the latest Rocky Balboa. Called Amazon and they offered to replace it for me but I told them that I would just as soon return the set and have them credit my account which they graciously will do. Just received a return label to mail it back to them with. Great service from Amazon.
All my movie reviews are of this nature and focus only on the quality of the transfer to BluRay so check them and see if they are of help as well.
Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase, hope I am on the correct path with a review of the transfer quality as opposed to providing plot summaries.
Thanks
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?