Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK as DLC, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning DLC: The Legend of Dead Kel [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This is a _very_ short campaign. Before going into the campaign itself:

Installation was much easier than installing the original game. Probably due to the fact that, by now, you have the Origin client installed, and the DLC installs thru that. Once installed, it does NOT show up on the main list of games, and the order receipt shows "no serial number necessary", so it was a little confusing at first how to actually PLAY the DLC. It doesn't appear in the main menu under "Downloadable content".

Once the DLC is installed, you "Continue" an existing game, and you'll trigger a new quest to start playing the DLC. You have to be level 10 to trigger the quest, but if you've finished the OC, you should more than meet the requirements. This is rather an interesting method to activate the DLC, and I liked it.

I was level 40 (the max), have most of my skills maxxed, and a nicely outfitted character who migrated right into the DLC campaign.

This said, consider the rest of this review to contain possible spoilers.

As I said, the DLC campaign is very short, and most of it revolves around building your new keep, which is a very sweet residence indeed, a miniature town. In between running the restoration quests, you complete the main story quests for Dead Kel, as many of these quests will intersect. So you'll be in the area anyways.

One word of warning, and a definite spoiler, once you begin the final Dead Kel quest, going into his dungeon, make sure you have enough inventory space to loot every chest and pile, because once you vanquish Dead Kel, it looks like you cannot return.

I didn't log how many hours I played until I defeated Dead Kel, but it was certainly less than 10, and probably something you can hammer out over a weekend. As I said above, since I was maxxed out on character, at no point in playing did I get that "oh crap" feeling, where I was in over my head. That's kind of unfortunate, and as annoying as it is to reload an earlier save, it's all part of the challenge.

Playing a game is not always about rushing to the end, and in this DLC, there are ongoing quests you can keep playing. These are similar to the "tasks" in the OC, and entail you talking to some of the denizens of your new castle, as you dispense justice or take on other challenges.

I have not tried to go back to the mainland of the OC, but I do know you cannot fast-travel to e.g. Rathir, so I don't know if there is a method to return...

There was no increase to the level cap, it's still level 40, and I really didn't find any loot that exceeded what I already had, save a few pieces of armor. I did miss some of the chests, so I'll go back and loot everything I can.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2012, 12:27:23 PM PDT
Mr. Gump says:
You talk to the lady and you use Dead Kel's ship to return to the other place.

Posted on May 12, 2014, 5:22:32 PM PDT
"As I said, the DLC campaign is very short, I didn't log how many hours I played until I defeated Dead Kel, but it was certainly less than 10, and probably something you can hammer out over a weekend."

I sure wouldnt consider 10 hours short for DLC, several games have a main campaign that is only 6-10 hours. Mass Effect 2 DLC was notoriously overpriced and short in length. $10 - $15 for a 2 hour mission? I bought the entire Kingdoms of Amalur package with all DLC for $14. This particular DLC took me 10 hours to complete.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›