Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Good activity tracker, with the potential of being great. *UPDATED*, January 25, 2014
I have tried other more popular activity trackers in the market such as the Jawbone UP, Jawbone UP24, and the Fitbit Force. The Misfit Shine is just like those other trackers, they're all in need of some refinement in order to make them worth your time and money. But let me tell you what the Shine can do, why I chose to stick with the shine, and what the Shine lacks.

WHAT CAN THE MISFIT SHINE DO:

~ The Shine can track your activities. By downloading the Shine app, you have the option to manually set what activity you're about to do, triple tap your Shine, then start your activity. Or, you can simply start your activity, and your Shine will automatically detect the type of activity you're doing and start tracking it.
~ The Shine tracks your sleep habits. This feature needs to be tweaked. I stay up really late at night, and sometimes when I'm sitting down for a couple hours past midnight, the Shine thinks that I'm asleep because I'm not moving as much and automatically logs that as such.
~ The Shine is water-resistant, and personally, is the best tracker for swimmers. You just clip your Shine to your suit, or wear the rubber wrist band, and the Shine tracks your activity in the water.
~ The Shine automatically syncs with your phone.
~ The Shine is the best looking and most versatile tracker in the market. It looks like a fancy brushed metal jewel, about the size of a quarter, and it will go with whatever outfit you're wearing. The magnetic clasp is also cool because it allows you to hook your Shine wherever you wish. I've read a review complaining about the clasp's magnet. I think they may have just gotten a dud, because once I clip on my Shine, it stays on the entire time. I've clipped it on my sneakers, my swimsuit, my jeans, my bra, I've even tied my hair in a ponytail and clipped the Shine on my hair tie.

WHY I CHOSE THE SHINE:

~ The price, at $79.99, it's $50 cheaper than the Fitbit Force.
~ Its versatility. As I mentioned above, I clip my Shine in all sorts of different ways. No matter what I'm doing or what I'm wearing, my Shine keeps on tracking.
~ It's so easy to use.
~ It goes off a point system, not just steps taken like other trackers. You can't really cheat the Shine as easily as you could the other trackers.
~ It tracks all sorts of activity (swimming, cycling, soccer, etc), not just steps taken.
~ The design is just amazing. It's not bulky and it will match whatever outfit you have on.
~ No need to charge the Shine. It works using a standard watch battery (which is included with your purchase).

WHAT THE SHINE LACKS:

~ The Shine app is not as sophisticated as the competition's. It doesn't integrate with other lifestyle tracking apps such as MapMyFtiness, MyFitnessPal, etc. But you CAN link your Facebook account to your Shine app, and let your friends know your progress.
~ They need to include the wrist strap as a standard add-on, and not a for-purchase add-on.
~ They need to add an alarm feature, or a vibrate feature when you're not as active.

VERDICT:

The Misfit Shine, as well as other more popular activity trackers in the market, are just fancy digital motivators to help keep you stay active. If you need something for weight loss, you'll need a device that tracks your heart rate. That's the only accurate way you'll know how many calories you're burning, and exactly how active you've been.

All that said, if you simply want to keep track of how active you are, the Shine is the most affordable, cheat-resistant, attractive, and user-friendly activity tracker currently in the market.

UPDATE:

Misfit Shine's app now features a photo food diary. This new feature is great, because if you eat out or cook your own meal, you probably don't know how many calories are in that food you're about to eat. However, if you took a picture of each of the food item you've eaten that day, you can easily see how healthy or unhealthy you've been with your diet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2014 10:29:30 AM PDT
Abby says:
Thank you. This was very helpful for me since I had several questions and you answered them all!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2014 11:09:57 PM PDT
MichaelM says:
Good review. I've ordered a Shine, should arrive today. I've been a huge UP fan for the past 2-3 years. But I just killed mine snorkeling-forgot I had it on under a protective shirt-and the UP24 seems to be going through the same teething pains we experienced with the UP. So...wanted to try something different. I like the vibrating feature of the UP, smart alarms, the ability to wake me. So I may miss that. But the Shine being waterproof should be awesome. With regard to the vibrating reminders on the UP, they were good, but often I was in the middle of something, and really couldn't jump up and exercise, so not sure they really were that useful. We will see. Seems like a lot of people lose the Shine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2014 10:10:28 PM PDT
Madre Gigi says:
Do the people state How they lost their Shine? Meaning are they wearing it the same way perhaps?
I am at a loss as to which to chose from... :(
So many people at my work wear so many different brands I am truly at a loss.
Mama G

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 4:33:51 AM PDT
MichaelM says:
Hi Madre, there are two common ways people wear their shines. And people have lost their shines both ways. So some people wear them on their wrists, in the rubber strap that comes with most of the Shines (although NOT all come with the strap). Some people wear them as a pendant on a necklace. You could also just wear the shine in a small pocket of your clothing. However, doing that, or wearing it as a necklace, you will then lose one of the nice features, which is that it is a pretty cool clock. But a pocket is a safe way of using it. I'd say the ones to consider are the Shine, the Jawbone UP24, Fitbit Flex and BodyMedia Fit. Each of these has it's positives and negatives. The shine is very durable, no battery to charge, so it is sealed to the environment. But it is prone to being lost. Mine has popped out of it's rubber strap once. The Jawbone UP24 is good. I've used the UP, which was a little different. I am currently using the Shine and something called the Bodymedia Fit. The Bodymedia is very large. But is probably the best one. So you just have to decide about something tiny like the Shine, versus the cool looking and good UP24, versus the not so cool looking and big BodyMedia Fit. I like all of the products I've mentioned here: Shine/UP24/FitbitFlex/BodyMediaFit. Bottom line is that it probably depends on how devoted you are to the idea of monitoring. The Shine is tiny. So if you put it in the "watch" pocket of your jeans every day, you will never even notice it. But you have to remember to remove it, not put it through the wash etc. And then you lose some of the coolness of the device as it is hidden away, albeit safe. The UP24 and FitBit Flex (which I haven't used, but was happy with a Fitbit I had) are both kind of cool bracelets. The BodyMedia Fit looks like a fairly serious piece of monitoring equipment, that you might even see a hospital issuing. Also depends on how interested you are in monitoring your calories as the BodyMedia Fit and Fitbit have very strong computer based web sites for monitoring your food. If your goal is to lose weight, the above two help you monitor your food a lot. The shine has nothing on the computer, just the phone. But! Are you really going to monitor your food? Man this is getting long...there are many considerations...these are some ideas.

Posted on May 26, 2014 1:27:32 PM PDT
where did you get it for $79?
it is on amazon for $99.
best buy for $99.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2014 8:30:56 AM PDT
People seem to loose their Shines after using them a few months with the sports bands. The stretchable rubber seems to suffer some fatigue and gets looser with use. I hope to solve this with the leather band. The frame that the Shine is pushed into is hard and as long as the Shine is pushed in completely it would be difficult to push out. Despite what some reviewers were saying the (black) leather band I got is a fine quality item. I also have a NATO type band to put it on once the water kills the leather.

Posted on Jun 11, 2014 9:57:26 PM PDT
How do you figure by taking a picture of the food you've eaten during the day you can see how healthy or unhealthy you've been? You mean by guilting you? I track my food on Myfitnesspal.com so I have a pretty clear picture of what I eat day in and day out, taking a picture of it is not going to help me, unless taking a picture and it then tells me exactly how many calories are in it, yeah then that would be helpful, but I'm guessing that is not what you meant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2014 6:08:06 AM PDT
katwoman says:
Hi Nicole! Taking a picture and seeing what you eat doesn't "guilt trip" you into thinking you've eaten too much. Instead it makes you aware of what you've put into your body. In my case, I hardly ever eat out. The bulk of my diet consists of home-cooked meals from scratch, and homemade treats from local artisans (no barcodes on most of those). Therefore, MyFitnessPal is hardly of any use to me. Besides it doesn't take a calorie counting app to know that a plate of food from a restaurant will have at least 500 calories in it, or 300+ if you order from their "lite" menu. It's common sense really. If I go through my food diary and see that I've already eaten an omelette for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and a snack, then I know I'm nearing my daily limit and will eat a salad or quinoa and veggies for dinner if I'm feeling that salad won't be enough. Plus seeing my food shows me how big of a portion I ate, instead of just eyeballing it or clicking on the predetermined choices available. All that said, to each its own. This Misfit feature might seem useless to you, but it's convenient and very useful to me. MyFitnessPal is great for you, but it's just a hassle and useless to me. It all depends on your eating habits. For a busy mom who pretty much lives off her garden and the local farmers and artisans, I suggest the Misfit's photo food diary capability any day.

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 6:13:05 AM PDT
UPDATE (06/12/14):

My Shine's battery was about dead 2 weeks ago. During my last sync that time, I received an error message saying I need to buy a new battery so I can keep tracking. The next day, I received an email from Misfit saying that they've received a message that my battery was almost dead, and they'd like to send me a new battery for free so I can continue to track my days. I don't know if this happens to all Shine owners, but Misfit just sent me a new battery before my other one died. I love Misfit and my Shine even more!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2014 6:22:40 AM PDT
katwoman says:
Hi Madre! I've had my Shine since the day I bought it, and it's not going anywhere. I use the leather wrist strap and it holds it in tightly via a metal encasement. I believe those that use the rubber wrist strap and the rubber attachment it comes tend to lose it because those things will eventually wear off overtime, and is not as secure compared to the way the leather wrist strap holds your Shine in. If you go the the Misfit site, they have more options now. They even came out with a gorgeous necklace with a metal pendant encasement for the Shine that i'm thinking of buying.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›